• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Differences in A&H Breech Hooks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just received my 1:66" A&H Mountain Rifle barrel in the mail today and was surprised to find it doesn't quite go into place in my rifle when I swap this new barrel for my 1:28" barrel (not to mention having a damaged rear sight). I've attached photos but it would appear that the breech hooks are ever so slightly off, so I am unable to insert my barrel wedge key into the stock due to around 1/8" of the eyelet on the new barrel hanging into the wood inlet in my stock (in other words the eyelet on the barrel is just a bit too far forward for the wedge to fit through). In removing the barrels to compare, it would appear the new barrel (on the right), has its hook mounted just a bit lower than the breech hook on the original barrel. Is there a way I can remedy this via using a thinner stand-in key or somehow modify the breech plug? Thank you.

1727203413621.png
1727203438688.png

Just received my 1:66" A&H Mountain Rifle barrel in the mail today and was surprised to find it doesn't quite go into place in my rifle when I swap this new barrel for my 1:28" barrel (not to mention having a damaged rear sight). I've attached photos but it would appear that the breech hooks are ever so slightly off, so I am unable to insert my barrel wedge key into the stock due to around 1/8" of the eyelet on the new barrel hanging into the wood inlet in my stock (in other words the eyelet on the barrel is just a bit too far forward for the wedge to fit through). In removing the barrels to compare, it would appear the new barrel (on the right), has its hook mounted just a bit lower than the breech hook on the original barrel. Is there a way I can remedy this via using a thinner stand-in key or somehow modify the breech plug? Thank you.

View attachment 350835View attachment 350836
That's pretty common with breech hooks and will require a bit of spot fitting and filing to mate them up to use the same wedge. I used spotting grease to indicate where the proud steel was to be filed to fit.
Possibly the same impact that messed up the rear sight was responsible for the ill fitting breech hook.

Back