• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Introduction and first gun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blunderig

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Here in the very near future (a day or two plus shipping time) I plan to have my hands on a doglock blunderbuss. I'm not new to shooting in general but this will be my first foray in to black powder. I've already picked up quite a bit of info here on the forum and I'm sure I'll learn a GREAT deal more as I dig further and further back through the posts. However, are there any particular primer threads or resources you guys can point me towards? Though I do have friends locally with black powder experience, nobody I know has dealt with a flintlock nor have they handled a gun of this general size/bore (all of their experience being with percussion pistols). I am looking for the most basic of info from reccomended type of flint to reccomended load. Thanks, and please forgive my obvious ignorance.

If you go to the Flintlock Rifles Forum (next one down from the smoothbore forum) there's a flintlock tips post that's pegged to the top. I'd post a link here if I could figure out how *&^%&%!!

Where are you? Maybe some nearby experienced shooter could meet and give you some tips. Good smoke, Ron in FL

Welcome to the forum amd good luck with that Blunderbuss. I am certain some loading info will follow, they are not a real common piece but a few of the members have them.

I know a few shooters of Blunderbus that delight in shooting large charges of blackpowder. I'm not sure it is a good idea to do that until you find out where the barrel was built and have it proof tested. Blunderbus have the belled muzzle to make them easier to load while on a moving horse or coach. They don't seem to spread the shot any more than a regular shot gun. The large muzzle is also one heck of a way to scare people on the wrong end.

Many Klatch

Your Doglock Blunderbuss will be loaded according to the specific caliber....yours will probably be .75 cal?
Mine is a 8 bore with a Brass barrel and LOTT lock. It patterns very good out to 20-25 yds. Using a patched ball I can shoot 2" groups a 25 yds if I aim a bit high to compensate for the belled barrel....Just because its a Blunderbuss it dont mean that you are restricted to shooting shot....they can handle single round balls quite nicely. My Buss has a 15" barrel and I usually load 60 grains FFF. Yea...its a Stout load for sure.

Many Klatch said:
I know a few shooters of Blunderbus that delight in shooting large charges of blackpowder. I'm not sure it is a good idea to do that until you find out where the barrel was built and have it proof tested. Blunderbus have the belled muzzle to make them easier to load while on a moving horse or coach. They don't seem to spread the shot any more than a regular shot gun. The large muzzle is also one heck of a way to scare people on the wrong end.

Many Klatch

I'm not the sort that delights in the biggest bang possible. I like the blunderbuss really because of it's oddness. It's at the same time both very familiar (common in images from pirate to pilgrim) and completely unfamiliar - you just don't come across a ton of them.

The gun itself is indian made, one of those from middlesex. I'm a little concerned about that frankly since these idian guns have as many people saying they're only good as wall hangers as there are saying that they're perfectly decent guns. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat budget driven so a custom - especially for a first - is out of the question and I really don't have the time for a kit.

The safety of Indian-made guns has been beat to death. Fact is, there was one gun that blew up and it was studied by an independant lab and judged to be due to long term lack of cleaning which contributed to a barrel obstruction. See Post#570547 Lab Report on blown India musket (Topic#221185)
Relax and enjoy your blunderbuss!

I think the safety issue is overblown. There are lots of Indian guns out there and they don't have a record of exploding. Yeah, they are crude, clunky and cheap, but they appear to be plenty solid and they are most likely made with much better metal than the originals were.

Back