• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

investarms Hakens .54 cal Stocks 1"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering since I want to pair up a Green Mountain IBS barrel to A Hawken stock and TC Hawkens are sort of pricey and investarms are not will a 1 inch IBS barrel fit an investarms stock, are the larger calibers 54 cal or 58 cal 1 inch across the flats? I see them going for 100-125 in some places.

The answer isn't that simple. The investarms width is 15/16 across the flats, the widest part.
The 1" wide GM barrels won't fit. The other issue is the underrib on the GM barrell is a little longer than the stock barrel, not a biggie, you can remove the rib and cut'er down. The GM site has a contact number that you can call for more detail

let me clear up a few things. Greenmountain does make barrels 15/16 wide. the max caliber for that width is 54 that I've seen. The Investarms/cabellas, Italian versions all seem to be 15/16 across. You can use the green mountain barrels in 15/16, provided you either cut the under rib, the part the ramrod thimbles attach to, and it is easier done than said. this part is only screwed onto the barrel, measure the amount you need to cut , rtemove the rib and cut it, a dremel or a hacksaw and some polishing may do the trick. Although I've seen some TC Hawken stocks on ebay that are complete except for the barrel, for a couple hundred or less. Couple that with a gm barrel in cal of choice and you have a heckova target patchball gun. You can even make up a "set" with differant calibers and twists, kinda the muzzleloaders golf bag.

I have a GM I.B.S. on my cabelas Hawkin (investarms), cut a bit off the rib and file the hook a bit deeper to fit,(which is something you have to do on most of'm)and yer good ta go

I currently have a 62 ibs barrel on a single trigger renegade and a 32 cal ibs for on my tc hawken stock, I had to cut off and reshape the under rib by about an 8th or 16th of an inch or so on the 62 cal ibs. I bought the tc guns complete, the 50 cal renegade and 54 cal hawken years ago for 170 each. I would like to bring these back to stock. just put the orignal barrels back on them. I just have a hard time parting with the cash they ask for guns these days. My Ideal was to find the nice stock junk barrel situation but you just don't see that no more. I am certainly not saying by any stretch that investarms guns are of any less quality than TC because I have a lyman pistol that I love. They just cost less and that is the bottom line.

Your stock is 15/16 so if you want a 54 cal. look for investarm/or investarm made barrels: lyman trade/plains, cabela's , investarm, some charles dalys......twist will be 1-48 (on all I've seen)

There are also some 58 cal ( 1-48) and 62 cal used investarm made barrels, if bigger is better. I've only seen the 62 cal in smoothie as a lyman plains rifle, I have one.

GM made a 54 "drop in" in 15/16. Might still be available? I think, two twists, 1-28 and 1-70.

I'm pretty certain of the above, but chime in if you can correct me.

I have TCs, charles dalys, lymans, GM and most of these barrels will fit each other with little tweaking (e.g. all the 15/16 "kissing cousins"). I have noticed some tangs place the barrel a slight bit lower or higher, ribs too long as mentioned above, slight need to file a tang/hook, and to tweak the way the staple fits the stock and/or wedge key.

Most all of these barrels will either drop in, or can be made to fit all the investarms made guns and the 15/16 TC hawken.

Toledo Arms also made a 15/16 12ga drop in for the TC, that is just as close in fit as the rest. Unlike the lyman barrel I have the Toledo is choked.

Also some investarm barrels will be chrome bored.

P.S. Lyman great plains is a different animal (stock/hardware/2 wedge keys) made by investarm.

Latest posts

Back