• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

InvestArms- Lyman & Richland Arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Richland Arms Hawken and see that it was made by InvestArms. That is the same company that makes Lyman's I believe. Is there any difference in quality between the three companies seeing as they are all made in the same factory? I just got it but in all honesty it looks very good and almost on par with all the Thompson Centers that I have owned over the years. Greg

as far as I've seen the only difference is the stampin' on the barrel.

Thanks guys...... I agree. Same guns....different names on the barrel is only difference! Greg. :)

Richland Arms was a Michigan based company that imported all of their muzzle loading rifles. I once had a fullstocked percussion "Kentucky" type rifle made in Italy by who knows. It was stamped with the Richland logo and was 45 caliber IIRC. It was very light weight and shot well. Traded it off on something years ago.

Are the slots for the barrel wedges located in the same spots? can you switch the barrels between the two? If so, that may be my answer for finding a new .50 cal barrel for my 45 t/c hawken. I think the cabela's hawken and the lyman trade rifle are the same gun...

in my limited experience Investarms barrels will go right on T/C Hawkens. but to swap the other way, the hook on T/C barrels needs about three strokes on each side with a fine-cut mill file to go on Investarms guns.

your mileage may vary.

lyman brand uses steel on parts, under rib etc. investarms and richland and cableas use aluminum and pot metal for furniture.

same as far as I can tell, barrels interchange as long as same width, with a little breach tang filling.

rj morrison said:
lyman brand uses steel on parts, under rib etc. investarms and richland and cableas use aluminum and pot metal for furniture.

Wow! You must have lucked onto a special run! :rotf:

Never seen a single one built by Investarms with pot metal or aluminum, whether it was tagged Investarms, Richland or Cabelas. And I've owned some of each, as well as those with the Lyman imprint. :doh:

I have a Cabela's version that had the aluminum ramrod rib. So, I ordered a steel replacement with thimbles from Lyman so I could brown all the furniture.

I'll be darned. I have three of the Cabelas and all are steel. I wonder if it has to do with the age of the guns. Mine are all older, purchased used from folks who bought them a long time ago.

I have a LYMAN TRADE RIFLE 50 cal.cap.lock made in 1989. my SAFARI ARMS. Toronto Canada .is a 50 cal.cap lock made in 1989.
barrels by INVESTARMS ITALY. the ser# are about 1000 apart. lyman has the steel rib under barrel and the SAFARI has an aluminum rib. screw holes are NOT in same location.....
The safari has much nicer furniture and a patch box in stock....also a better adjustable rear sight......they both shoot equally well.INVESTARMS/ITALY made/make? proofed barrels for many M.L.rifles......my T.C. 50 cal is ALL AMERICAN MADE....I had a TRADITIONS 50 cal flinter I gave my son in law....that one had a SPANISH BARREL as does my CVA/DIKAR mountain pistol....Regardless of what RANDY you know who :stir: says, all the above work just fine IF you shoot reasonable loads and look after your firearm.....imho

If you go to the Investarm site you can see they make many similar models. http://www.investarm.it/eng-avancarica.html

They stamp the barrels for the company's as they request. Most similar models will interchange if the wedges line up.
My Deerslayer barrel is in a Safari Arm stock.

I find it interesting that some of the companies guns may hold a higher resale value and have a higher perceived level of quality than some of the others when they are all basically the same InvestArms weapon. Greg. :)

Back