• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Invite To The Shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If any of you are interested, I will be conducting rifle boring and reaming (all traditional) hands on classes over the next few days, here at Toad Hall. We are also turning blank rifling guides or "worms". The hand rifling seminar is just completed today. No charge. You can find my website in my personal data. Cheers, Bookie

Wish I lived close enough to attend, I've often wondered how they did rifling back in the day........perhaps you can post pics sometime

Have fun

Brasilikilt said:
Wish I lived close enough to attendHave fun

Doesn't it make you sick? :cursing: Now iffin I could just get Bookie to move down here to Texas .. then I could visit and bother him all the time! :shocked2: :blah:

Davy

Davy, I'm an old Mineral Wells and San Marcos man!
Here are a few photos that you may have seen somewhere else. 1st one is a rifler under construction here at Toad Hall. The second is a barrel just been welded and the flats started. Made from a wrought iron wagon wheel rim. 3rd is a raw, welded wrought iron barrel and a finished one. Lastly is a shot of me last Saturday humpin' away. Cheers, Bookie
RiflerInTheRough.jpg
HotBore.jpg
2Barrels.jpg

RiflingBarrel.jpg

Yeah Bookie,
Sure wish I lived close enough. I would come out for some classes on forging. :bow: :grin:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Well shucks .. what the heck are ya doin up there in Yankee-land? :cursing: :grin:

Ima Ft. Worth boy my ownself! We need more of that gun buildin goin on down here! Lord knows we have enuff guns down here to sink a couple of battleships and then some! :hmm: And I wouldna have it any other way! :hatsoff:

Davy

Davy,
I am going to Houston Memorial Weekend to visit my daughter and her, hopefully, soon to be fiancee. :grin: If you have a good job lined up for me in the region I could be convinced to stay, hee hee. :winking: I am really tired of winter. :(
God bless.
volatpluvia

Your shop is to neet and clean. Nice looking barrel weld. How about a picture of your reaming set up?

NEAT and CLEAN!!? :shocked2: John Taylor, you go worsh your mouth out with soap!! The air does look clean i reckon, only 'cause we had a fan runnin' to get the cigar smoke, saw dust, and affluvia from the rancid hog lard lubricant outta the shop! :winking: Cheers, Bookie

Hi Olie! The worms that I make and use are 1 in 48", 1 in 49", and 1 in 60". The one I'm using in the photo is 1 in 48". Thanks for asking. Cheers, Bookie

Man that is neat and clean cause I can see the floor in that one pic :grin: , heck I'm afraid to sweep sometimes, once I almost lost a tumbler for a wall gun doing that :shocked2: :haha:

good stuff by the way wish I lived closer I could probably learn lots from ya. Looking for an apprentice? :grin:

Bookie said:
Hi Olie! The worms that I make and use are 1 in 48", 1 in 49", and 1 in 60". The one I'm using in the photo is 1 in 48". Thanks for asking. Cheers, Bookie

As you may have read on other posts about 1:48". I was wondering if your 1:48" are with deeper grooves? Oh and I wish my garage looked half as clean as your shop.

Yep, I've read the other posts. After actively building for well over 30 years, I must state that I'm a firmly entrenched believer in the 1 in 48" twist for calibers .50 and under. Grooves are cut down to about 7 deep. Plenty deep to grab a patch and give'r a spin. Cheers, Bookie

Nice and clean, Yah right, they ain't seen yer tabacca spit can. Hey, where'd ya move the milling machine to. I thought it was on the bench, and have ya learned to use it yet. It's good to see that pyrite sparker finished, she's a beaut. Bill, How bout a class on making iron furniture about Labor day time. I should be in Pleasantville(the name says it all) :rotf: around about then. Regardless I'll come pester ya next time I'm ther abouts. Bill

We'll be teaching some iron furniture hammering the week after Easter. As for around Labor Day, maybe---if I ain't out panning for gold. You make me wonder--- anyone else have a 40 gallon Red Man can? :rotf: Bookie

Barrel boreing went hot and heavy this evening. We are progressing at the rate of about 1 inch per 10 minutes on the average. (Gotta take breaks, you know :grin: ) The first photo is of Don cranking the wheel while I apply the pressure at the far end. The second photo is what the bit looks like as we start to remove it from the barrel. The horizontal drill is boring very smooth and quietly and the present bore riding bit is right at 20 inches long. (and now there are only 41 inches remaining to hog out!) See all the fun & educational opportunities you're missing. Uhhh....sumbody pass me the Ben-gay, please......Cheers, Bookie
DonCranks1.jpg

Chips2.jpg

In response to a private email, here is a little information about my wooden horizontal drill/reamer. The bench is about 8 feet long. (which is much more than you need to drill a 4 foot barrel unless all your bits are in excess of 48" themselves.) The head is made from laminated maple gunstock blank scrap. The shaft for the un-PC Jacob's Chuck is just an arbor from the hardware store. Babbitt was poured around portions of the shaft. The two small "long distance" holes for oiling the babbitt bearings were interesting to drill due to the very hard wood used for the head. Parrafin is used to keep the wooden slide operating smoothly in the gibs. The wheel was taken from an old corn sheller. Here are a couple of photos in case you're interested.
DrillWheel.jpg

DrillHead.jpg

Great pics Bookie. I sure wish I could be up that way for a little hardware making. :bow:

Back