• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is a 54 cal 47" swamped barrel too much of a good thing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordite

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a flintlock rifle. I'm looking a one that has a 54 cal 47" swamped barrel. All my percussion guns are 28 to 32 inches so this would be a big change. Seems like as I get older I appreciate the benefits of a longer barrel for offhand shooting. I have a flintlock fowler with a 42 inch barrel that I like a lot. But this would be 5 inches longer than that.
Since I can't hold this rifle in my hands to see how it feels I'm asking for your thoughts on a hunting rifle with a barrel like this. thanks!

I have a 45 cal with a 47 1/2 barrel. It's a neat rifle, but I'm 5ft.9in.and that barrel is just about too long for me to load comfortably.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got a pic of that rifle rf50cal? :hmm:
I'd like to see it.

I got a rifle being made by oldarmy that has a 50" swamped .50 cal barrel. It's still in the construction stage, so I cant tell you how it handles. But I think the longer the better myself. :grin:
What kind of rifle are you looking at having?

It's an entirely different firearm, but last week at the NMLRA Museum there was a punt gun on display. As I recall, the barrel was 105". Not surprisingly, the stock was NOT full length. And the ramrod was carried separately, as there was no provision for it's attachment.

(There was also a wallgun on display, 4 gauge, with about a 36" barrel. It seems to be zeroed at 600 yards, and is said to do the trick on deer.)

I think maybe the length of the barrel should reflect the shooter's build (shorter barrel for a shorter person) for comfortable shooting. What I wonder is exactly what .54 caliber barrel length allows all the powder in a hunting load to be burnt. I saw a chart in an old dixie gunworks catalog that had that info but Can't find it. The velocity increases with longer barrels but return diminishes at some point. I am easily confused and don't seem to retain the info I gleen. Really should save it all for reference.

Rice makes a dandy round bottom grooved "C" weight 46" swamped barrel in .54 caliber. They had several with them at Friendship.
IMHO, the longer barrels do have a bit of a drawback. When you go over 46" you start running into a loading issue if you are not 6' tall & over, as it is just too dang long to load easily, you have to lay the rifle at an angle. :hmm:
And you can forget about putting it in most gun safes, unless ya have a 72" tall safe. Most of the standard safes will barely accommodate a LR with a 42" barrel & some won't do that unless ya angle them in. And then you have the muzzle weight out there further from your body....... Just take a 42" barrel & hang about a 3" weight on the muzzle & shoulder it, as that will about compensate for the additional length & weight, as the balance point moves out as the barrel gets longer & heavier.

:thumbsup:

All depends on the profile of the barrel. Could be heavy, could be light as a feather. I have never found length to be an issue for loading , shooting or hunting.

I'm with you on that! However, and it's a big "however" in my case. I'm barely 5'4&1/2" and have to have stocks to youth & ladies lop. I do love long barrels but have only one, an EV .50 with 42" barrel. It sights really great but Is a PITA to load. Also the muzzle-heaviness which makes it a great target rifle makes it difficult for me to hold up for more than a few moments. It's not quite as handy in the deer woods as my shorter, lighter ones but not as much of a problem as you might think. I personally wouldn't even consider anything over 42" and have found 38" about perfect for me.

hanshi said:
I'm with you on that! However, and it's a big "however" in my case. I'm barely 5'4&1/2" and have to have stocks to youth & ladies lop. I do love long barrels but have only one, an EV .50 with 42" barrel. It sights really great but Is a PITA to load. Also the muzzle-heaviness which makes it a great target rifle makes it difficult for me to hold up for more than a few moments. It's not quite as handy in the deer woods as my shorter, lighter ones but not as much of a problem as you might think. I personally wouldn't even consider anything over 42" and have found 38" about perfect for me.

You are close to average height for an 18th century male who used long a barrel.

I probably could have made myself clearer. With the rifle standing straight, no, I can't see the muzzle. All I have to do is tilt it a bit and it's not a problem. Back when I used tree stands it was often a problem, regardless. It's also hard to get the 42" in & out of my truck. I admit to a high "fumble factor". Don't spread this around, but just between you and me, Murphy came up with his law only after seeing me in action. Shhhh... Don't tell a soul.

I see no problems with a barrel that length if the gun is built well with no extra wood and a lock and set of furniture and archuitecture that all falls... "belongs" together.I shoot 44" barrels and don't notice the difference between the 42" of even the 36" I had on a couple of others, have a good builder work with you picking a style/type and it could end up being a very nice gun.There are several on this forum, if you want to build it yourself there is plenty of knowledge here on how to keep it all as it should be so to speak.

Assuming the gun is well made using quality components and you are happy with the style and price, buy it!

The important thing is to get what you like and want and what feels right. Really long barrels do look good and I like them. But I learned long ago that the prettiest girl at the dance doesn't necessarily make the best wife.

I think barrels from 42 up to 48 inches are great on early rifles. Most people I build early rifles for request something in this range. I currently have a 48 inch swamped .60 cal that is going to be mine as soon as I get time to build it. I also love Hawken caplock rifles with barrels from 32 to 34 inches in length, but they are late rifles.
Roger Sells

hanshi said:
The important thing is to get what you like and want and what feels right. Really long barrels do look good and I like them. But I learned long ago that the prettiest girl at the dance doesn't necessarily make the best wife.

But she sure looks good hangin' on your arm!

Someone mentioned (correctly) the height of 18th. century people, vs. the barrel lengths of their longguns. For example, the Long Land Pattern Brown Bess (standard throughout the Revolution) sported a 46 inch barrel. The Charleville sported a 44+ inch. barrel. Many original examples of those eras, both smoothbore and rifle, are those lengths and longer.

I'm 5'3", and my smoothbore flintlock has a 48 inch barrel. It's easy for me to load...I simply tilt the barrel. My flintlock rifle has a 42 barrel......

Latest posts

Back