• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is BP revolver shooting fun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukewellington

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I mean more fun than normal types of muzzleloader shooting. I might be joing a range and they mainly do this type of shooting.

With respect, questions like this are too subjective. That's like asking, "Is blue an attractive color?" Or, "Do plums taste better than peaches?"

Go shoot one and tell us what you think. :thumbsup:

Dumb question I know, I was just looking for people to tell em how great it so I can get excited fore the weekend.

Duke

Nope, no fun at all! So to save you from having to carry around those BP revolvers I would be happy to take them off your hands and save you all that hassle. Seriously, you will enjoy shooting them, and seems like you will be joining a knowledgeable group that can get you started in the right direction as far as loading and cleaning, etc. Let us know how it goes!

I enjoy the hell out of shooting my Walker Colt, esp. when there is a crowd around. Something about 60 grs of FFF in (fairly) rapid succession gets people's attention :haha: Lots of noise and smoke. Then they are surprised at how accurate it can be.

Don't just walk away......RUN! It's like crack! Once you try it you will have to have every model BP revolver ever made!

DON'T EVEN START!!!!!!!!!!!

Or you can just start at the top (Walker) :haha: . My son and his father in law and I were shooting ours. My son has a .36 sheriff's model and his f-in-l has the Patterson colt. No contest!!! Stump shooting, the Patterson ball actually bounced (not ricochet -- bounced) back to where we were standing. (12 grs. FFF) My son's w/20grs FFF made the stump wobble a bit. The Walker flipped it end over end. :rotf:
Yep -- HOOKED!!!!

It's fun. It's also a tedious job loading them. Personally I have more fun with my frontstuffers.

HD

If you enjoy shotting pistol, theny yes they are a blast. I shoot a Ruger Old Army, a ASM 1860 Colt (.44), 1862 Colt (.36) and a Cimmarron 1851 conversion (.38 spl) all are a blast, and seem to be as accurate as most modern pistols. Currently my favorite of the bunch is the little 5 shot 1862. The only negative is that they tend to foul after a couple cylinders. I just pop out the wedge run a brush down the bore, and grease the base pin, put it back together and your good for a few more cylinders.
One of these days I would like to expiriment with making paper cartridges for them as well.

Tom

You bet it is!! :grin: My Son and I currently own five betwwen us: The Walker, the 1860 Army Colt, the Third Model Dragoon, a 1858 Remmington New Model Army, and the 12" barreled 1858 New Model Army Buffalo.

Although other folks have been known to complain about the loading procedure, my Son and I both use custom-built loading stands that hold the wheelgun stationary while you load it with two hands. Goes pretty quick and works quite well, even comes with a small tray built into the stand that holds balls and wads to make loading even easier!

The Walker is really accurate! At 25 yards a couple of Sundays ago, I managed to shoot a 91x100 -3X, with 50 grains of 3Fg Goex, a wonder-wad and a .454 Hornady ball. None of the single shots that day came within a dozen points of my score!

Rikeman is right! Once you start, you'll want most of them! One more thing--the only thing that my revolvers eat is lead and powder with one small wad--no cereal or fillers! More BANG that way! :shocked2: :rotf:

Dave

I think shooting any kind of gun is fun. BP revolvers are their own beast though. They have a certain charm to them unlike a muzzleloading pistol and unlike a modern cartridge revolver. They can be quite accurate also, rivalling many cartridge revolvers. Like muzzleloaders, you need to tinker around a bit to find the most accurate load.

It's really a matter of preference though. Personally, I prefer muzzleloading pistols, but I take my BP revolvers out almost every time I go shooting too. Having more than one shot per reload is a refreshing change.

If you can, try a few different models out before you buy one. It's really the only way to find out which you like and dislike. I have always loved high powered handguns, but I dislike the Walker revolver. It just doesn't fit me.

H*ll Yes!

I got my first c&b in the mid 1970's and I've shot thousands & thousands of rounds out of of them.

I've done the cowboy action shooting in the past and it gave me great pleasure to beat most of the(then)local shooters with a brace of c&b 36's until a cap would jam my revolver and take me out of the running. :thumbsup: (I was the only C&B shooter at the time).

This summer I got a group of guys together to shoot Sunday mornings with either C&B or black powder conversion revolvers. We had a hoot.

I like loading em, it's part of the fun... and yes I use grease.

Cheers,

David

I have 9 different styles/types and am looking at a couple of others. You get into that zen type of mind set(showing my age), loading is part of the whole experience. I started also in the 70's, got out and came back in the 90's. Nothing like it. :grin:

I make paper cartridges for my Old Army from a mandrel made up by a friend and Rizla red cigarette papers.

27gr of Pyrodex P and easy to load...

tac

Oh yeah, but fun in a different way. Makes you feel more like a cowboy than a mountain man. The only thing I don't like (because I'm cheap) is that you can shoot a lot of balls pretty fast. So sometimes to slow it down I only load one or two chambers at a time. It would be fun to do the whole cowboy shoot sometime, but that takes more investment than I care to put out. You better get one or you'll be forever regretful.

. 10/15 / 16:05

it's all i own, and probably ever will.

that is... unless i talk myself into that .730" blunderbuss i saw on another site... but, that's a whole 'nuther story.

~daniel~

bp-1.jpg

BP revolvers are nasty, dirty, smokey, noisy. I refuse to buy another......for at least two or three more days.

Back