• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Getz Barrel Co. Still In Business?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John is still taking orders.... but not delivering. I have a friend waiting 3 months with no communication.. he talks a good game tto.unexpected people. Wish I'd have listened to people telling.me to stay away

I can see the day coming soon where Rice is the only large barrel maker still in business.
Kibler may have to start making their own barrels in-house in preparation for the day that Rice closes down.

I can see the day coming soon where Rice is the only large barrel maker still in business.
Kibler may have to start making their own barrels in-house in preparation for the day that Rice closes down.
Kibler has been buying rifled blanks from Green Mountain for some time. He "only" profiles the swamp. Green mountain is probably the only source that can produce enough to supply him. I wouldn't be surprised if he does all of his own barrel work one day.

All the more reason why I have a ton of respect for a guy like Bob Hoyt. Whom else sends you your rehabbed barrel back with a paper invoice for the Amount? Now a days.....no one. He,s old school one of a kind. I actually wrote him and told him that...he was happy I did.
I've bought many a barrel from Hoyt over the past 40 years. Always good stuff and quick business like turn around. He is training his niece to take over the business now.

For about fifteen years Colerain has made me every barrel design I have asked for. Quick turnaround. They’ve made them with variations on land width and groove depth, tang length, gain twist or traditional or whatever turn rate I want, different contours than are offered in their catalogue, and they use the same exact steel that all the other bp barrel makers use. I have not used every barrel Colerain sold me, but the ones I’ve had put into wood were more accurate than I am. Rice made a beautiful hooked breech for a flintlock project i am doing now. Machined absolutely perfectly from full high carbon stainless steel.
There’s still plenty of barrel makers, though I’m partial to Colerain because of their high quality and they are close to where I live now and to the beautiful farm country where I grew up. It’s always nice to go back there

" Getz Barrels" has only been John for many years. He came through the show in a wheelchair minus a leg. I don't see him making barrels again.
I have one of his dad’s last barrels that I want swamped more. Probably shave six ounces off. No other barrel maker has time to work on it. I drive right past Getz’s shop all the time and I wonder if he’d be up to a little milling off an existing barrel. While I wait

Kibler has been buying rifled blanks from Green Mountain for some time. He "only" profiles the swamp. Green mountain is probably the only source that can produce enough to supply him. I wouldn't be surprised if he does all of his own barrel work one day.
Unless I'm mistaken, his latest barrels are all his. I believe he gave Rice up.

I have one of his dad’s last barrels that I want swamped more. Probably shave six ounces off. No other barrel maker has time to work on it. I drive right past Getz’s shop all the time and I wonder if he’d be up to a little milling off an existing barrel. While I wait
You didn't read my post. :dunno:

Dick and Donny Getz were a great asset to the M/L business back in their day. They encouraged a young , upstart , no nothing , gun builder ,with more desire than smarts , to try and build m/lers. I still have a barrel or so in my collection , they made. I have nothing but thanks to them for putting up with me..............oldwood

So you are saying John Getz is incapable of either making a barrel or touching one up? To me these are different acts. I infer nothing, assume nothing.
Ok, three times then. John hasn't made a barrel in at least a couple years. he just had his leg amputated in the past year and is now in a wheelchair. You'll have to figure it out from there.
Maybe you should stop and ask him on one of your trips by.

For about fifteen years Colerain has made me every barrel design I have asked for. Quick turnaround. They’ve made them with variations on land width and groove depth, tang length, gain twist or traditional or whatever turn rate I want, different contours than are offered in their catalogue, and they use the same exact steel that all the other bp barrel makers use. I have not used every barrel Colerain sold me, but the ones I’ve had put into wood were more accurate than I am. Rice made a beautiful hooked breech for a flintlock project i am doing now. Machined absolutely perfectly from full high carbon stainless steel.
There’s still plenty of barrel makers, though I’m partial to Colerain because of their high quality and they are close to where I live now and to the beautiful farm country where I grew up. It’s always nice to go back there
Colerain makes some very nice barrels, and they are local to me. They have had a bit of a slow down in their production. One of them has hurt his back and they currently are only producing straight octagon barrels. I’m patiently waiting for them to start producing Fowler barrels

Ok, three times then. John hasn't made a barrel in at least a couple years. he just had his leg amputated in the past year and is now in a wheelchair. You'll have to figure it out from there.
I guess I’m easily fooled, because when a business advertises its wares and services, I tend to believe they mean it. Maybe Getz had a booth at the 18th Century Artisans Show just for old times’ sake and to show his support. But he didn’t communicate anything about being unable to deliver his goods and services. I go to this show and the former Dixon’s show every year, and watching Getz physically deteriorate over the past five or seven years has been sad. I’ve heard the same reports about failure to deliver from people who live right down the road from him. I guess I want to believe that a person who advertises in public means it. Maybe he’s just doing the wishful thinking thing.

I used to share motel rooms with Don and John for years. I also shared a booth at Friendship with them for several years. When I went to New York buying chickens I stopped and stayed with Don for several days.
John nearly put me out of business twice promising barrels and then disappearing. Never again. I'm not mad about it, I'm just smarter is all.

I used to share motel rooms with Don and John for years. I also shared a booth at Friendship with them for several years. When I went to New York buying chickens I stopped and stayed with Don for several days.
John nearly put me out of business twice promising barrels and then disappearing. Never again. I'm not mad about it, I'm just smarter is all.
Now THIS answers my question! Thank you

I was going to post this earlier, but held off and gave post a haircut…..

Maybe if John was asked real nice he might….. And not to beat on the guy while he is down, but John never appeared to have inherited the customer service gene that his father had, though he may have been a good barrel maker.

Back