• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

is it worth it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
can anyone tell me if the Green Mountain 40 cal. target barrel worth the extra $33.50 over the standard 32".
I scronged up enough money to up grade my t/c kit gun and can"t make up my mind. Please give me your thoughts on this matter. :)

Most regular green mountian barrels can shoot better than the person behind the gun, and ya gotta ask yerself what are you going to be doing with it. If it's gonna be for hunting, and casual target practice, that $33 would be better spent on patch, ball and powder. The regular barrels are mighty fine. That's my way of thinking, but I'm frugal, and my eyes ain't what they used to was. :haha: Bill

Charlie: Here is a picture of a group I shot from sandbags at 100 yards with a 38 inch by 1 inch .40 calibre Green Mountain drop-in barrel. It is 3 shots and I used a T/C vernier tang rear sight and a 17A Lyman front sight. I've shot other good groups with this barrel but this is the best
395232.JPG

The longer barrel offers a longer sight plane for more accurate sighting, especially off the bench where you might be more steady.
But with the shorter barrel, the projectile will have a shorter lag time (time spent in the barrel) after ignition which may help to promote better off-hand shooting accuracy.
So it's probably more a matter of personal preference than it is about value for the money. :hatsoff:

charlie45 said:
can anyone tell me if the Green Mountain 40 cal. target barrel worth the extra $33.50 over the standard 32".
I scronged up enough money to up grade my t/c kit gun and can"t make up my mind. Please give me your thoughts on this matter. :)

FWIW, I was in the same situation about a year ago. I did a lot of research by talking to various local muzzleloading target shooters and also finding chronograph data. I finally settled on the 32" barrel. Had the 38" barrel been a 42 or 44" barrel, I would've opted for the longer one, but from the advice and experience, I've found that there is not all thatmuch of an advantage with the 38" over the 32"; and... I may use this gun for hunting some day. I haven't gotten any recent targets handy to post, but I have had similar groups from my 32" barrel, so I'm not disappointed with my choice.

Something else to ask though... what kind of gun are you going to install the barrel on? That might influence the decision making process more.

Regards, and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

:grin: Well I went with the 32" as it well be used for both offhand target and small game. I think it well be some time before the shooter has to worry about the barrel not keeping up its part.
The lock & stock are from a t/c hunter kit gun I picked up cheep $20.00 the barrel was scrap but nice wood and brass work. I had better get to work refinishing that stock.
Thanks all for your info!
PS: 10 thumbs way to go! I don't see too many guys at the range doing that with scoped 30-06's

Latest posts

Back