• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is my trigger messed up bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbill

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My dad recently gave me a CVA .54 Hawken he bought at a gunshow. He(my dad) never shot it. I have shot BP before and usually the front trigger is a set trigger. However, when I pulled the front trigger, I heard no click. It just fired. Okay I thought, maybe the rear trigger is the set trigger. Loaded up again, was aiming and pulled the rear trigger...nothing. No click, no boom..nada. I played around with it for a bit and found out that when the hammer is at full cock, if I push forward on the rear trigger, the gun will fire. Is my trigger assembly messed up and in need of repair, or is this just how it works on this gun?

The rear trigger is usually the set. The only gun I have seen the front trigger used as a set is the Thompson Center Patriot. Made the thing aggravating to shoot.

CVA set triggers were usually set up to be able to fire set or unset. Pushing forward on the rear trigger will set the gun off because that is the same action the spring performs when the triggers are set.

There should be a small screw between the triggers. It sounds as if someone screwed it all the way in and will not allow the rear trigger bar to engage the slot in the front trigger. Try backing this screw out until you can pull the rear trigger and hear it set.

thanks for the tips, i'll play around with it and see if i can get it to work.

mike- the previous BP rifles i've fired were custom made one of a kinds and they all had the front trigger as the set trigger. didn't know the rears were usually the set triggers.

Here , word for word are the instructions for adjusting the CVA double set trigger , from the booklet that came with my CVA "squirrel rifle" , copyright 1979 :" The small screw in the middle of the triggers , when tightened (turned clockwise WITH TRIGGERS POINTING UP) , reduces the "trigger pull" weight . CAUTION: Overtightening (clockwise with triggers pointing up) of this small screw in the middle of the triggers will create a dangerous "hair" trigger and will cause rapid wear , allowing the possibility of accidental firing . There is another small screw behind the two triggers that adjusts the height of the sear trip lever and the power let-off . If the hammer does not cock in the non-set position , the trip lever is adjusted too high . It should be adjusted as follows (normally this is factory adjusted and should not be touched) . Set the trigger . Turn this small screw clockwise (with the triggers pointing up) until it stops . Then , turn same screw 1/2 turn counterclockwise . Test operation and fine tune both screws ." I hope this helps . :thumbsup:

well. i tried both methods, but the rear trigger is still not working as a set trigger. i'm not confident enough to take the whole assembly apart, any other ideas that i can try?

mrbill said:
well. i tried both methods, but the rear trigger is still not working as a set trigger. i'm not confident enough to take the whole assembly apart, any other ideas that i can try?

You don't have to take the trigger assembly apart, but I would suggest you remove it from the stock and have a look at both the mortis and the trigger assembly, there could be a sliver of wood that has worked it way into the action, preventing it from working properly...

Take the lock outand have a look at the 1mm screw that determines the sear engagement.They have a tendency to work loose,good place to put a dab of loctite or nailpolish.Just be careful when removing the lock in case the screw has already backed right out and is loose in the lock.
Bet you can't guess how I know this??
Cheers Teach.

Teach said:
Take the lock outand have a look at the 1mm screw that determines the sear engagement.They have a tendency to work loose,good place to put a dab of loctite or nailpolish.Just be careful when removing the lock in case the screw has already backed right out and is loose in the lock.
Bet you can't guess how I know this??
Cheers Teach.

i'm guessing it isn't the result of deductive reasoning :grin:

Back