• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is There Any Of You Guys That Use Vintage Tools When Building ML.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a builder of modern rifles and use modern CNC and manual machines along with some vintage and modern hand tools. My shop has most anything to perform metal and wood work. I just got into muzzle loading by purchasing a small collection as year or two ago. My son in law is pushing me to build a flinter but I just don't have the bug to do so yet. Maybe in time I will. Was recently blessed with a grand daughter and a grandson so I see a rimfire or two being built.😉

Yep. What is vintage? I'm 85 and a lot of my tools were inherited from my father. For years I used a hand crank drill press. It worked fine. A lot of small tools. Have an antique post vice which is very handy at times. Reality, though, is modern tools allow the work to be done better and faster.

True, but in my case anyway, I've found that power tools let me make mistakes a lot faster.

I use an old hand drill to drill my holes to hold the barrel pins in. I recently had to take the barrel out of the stock of my last rifle to pull a stuck ramrod and noticed my holes weren't 100% perpendicular to the stock. It's a good thing I'm not too OCD.

Here is a couple pictures of a Bat Wing Clipper No.4 C Clamp I use to hold the lock and Barrel in place while drilling in the one pic you can see the company Shamrock logo .The company started in 1913 and went bust in 1922 so it’s got some age to it. I’ll have to post some pictures of a couple Hack Saws that I use to cut sites and Tenins with one of them is the old in-line handle job the other one is Beefy with a kinda ornate handle.
Do my beat up 74 year old scare tissue covered hands count as vintage tools ? 😄

Some hand tools , my forge , my anvil and my bench vice ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617-114440.png
    Screenshot_20230617-114440.png
    465.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230326_211631.jpg
    IMG_20230326_211631.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231104_172227.jpg
    IMG_20231104_172227.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230304_123906.jpg
    IMG_20230304_123906.jpg