• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there improvement in my carving?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agill

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've practiced my carving some. Is there improvement? I've learnt that the skew chisel and the gouges must be sharp enough to shave with or they will tear the wood. The Pfeil tools sharpen rather easy though.

P1010003-1.jpg

Looks alot better than the first photos you put up the other day. Although those were good. Gives me hope that I may be able to do that . Time to go get some carving tools. What tools do you find you use the most? Looking to get some basics to gt started. Andy

Yeah, you're improving rapidly! Those scrolls are a lot smoother, rest looks good too. :thumbsup:

fort fireman said:
Looks alot better than the first photos you put up the other day. Although those were good. Gives me hope that I may be able to do that . Time to go get some carving tools. What tools do you find you use the most? Looking to get some basics to gt started. Andy

I use all of these below. The larger gouges (18mm & 20mm) are used less often and sometimes only a portion is used. Also, I use the hobby knife to clean up the edges if I didn't stab deep enough.

No.1 8mm skew
No.3 12mm gouge
No.7 4mm gouge
No.7 6mm gouge
No.7 10mm gouge
No.7 18mm gouge
No.8 4mm gouge
No.8 7mm gouge
No.5 20mm gouge
No. 9 7mm gouge

Onojutta said:
what size gouges did you use?

No.3 12mm gouge
No.7 4mm gouge
No.7 6mm gouge
No.7 10mm gouge
No.7 18mm gouge
No.8 4mm gouge
No.8 7mm gouge
No.5 20mm gouge
No. 9 7mm gouge

More would be great, but these do.

Wow! You're a natural!

See how your scrolls are much more graceful with the "kinks" worked out? I think you're ready to dig into the York stock. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to check them out. When I get close to carving my stock I plan to get Wallace Gusler's video. I hear good things about that one too. If course it will be about 3 years until my stock is ready for carving. :haha:

Back