• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this a Beaumont-Adams or a Deane and Adams Revolver? And a few other questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LzChase

32 Cal
Reaction score
I only know 3 things. It is an Adams Patent type revolver, It is the first percussion revolver I've bought and it is quite beautiful despite it's heavy wear.

....That being said I am no expert, I know not if it is a Beaumont-Adams or a Deane and Adams variant, neither do I know exactly when it was made?
The ramrod is missing for some reason. It only works in double action. I don't know if this is normal or not for this particular revolver. I think it is a 38 bore version as a .45 is way too small. What is it plated with? Nickel? Silver?

Attachments

• IMG_20221023_123151.jpg
    IMG_20221023_123151.jpg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_20221023_123212.jpg
    IMG_20221023_123212.jpg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_20221023_123300.jpg
    IMG_20221023_123300.jpg
    4.3 MB
  • IMG_20221023_123332.jpg
    IMG_20221023_123332.jpg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_20221023_123408.jpg
    IMG_20221023_123408.jpg
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_20221023_123425.jpg
    IMG_20221023_123425.jpg
    1.8 MB
IIRC, the spurred hammer makes it a Beaumont Adams improvement, as the earlier Deane-Adams AFAIK didn't have the hammer spur.

The standard Adams is double action only and usually doesn't have a spur on the hammer. The Beaumont-Adams is single/double action and has a spur on the hammer. A Beaumont-Adams will generally have an Adams patent use number on the right side of the frame and a Beaumont patent use number on the side of the cylinder, but that isn't always the case.

The standard Adams is double action only and usually doesn't have a spur on the hammer. The Beaumont-Adams is single/double action and has a spur on the hammer. A Beaumont-Adams will generally have an Adams patent use number on the right side of the frame and a Beaumont patent use number on the side of the cylinder, but that isn't always the case.
This is a civil war Beaumont Adams imported from the London Armoury Company. Cool gun! Lots of history.

This is my Adams, It is self-cocking (UK terminology) so it does not have a spur on the hammer. It does not have a rammer because you are expected to push the bullet in with your thumb.

Adams (1).JPG

For comparison, here is my Beaumont-Adams which is a true double action.
Deane DA (1).JPG

Note the double serial numbers.

Deane DA (3).JPG

I hope this helps.

Kia Ora,
What a BIG Beaumont Adam's. Nikell plated I'd guess?
Best of both worlds single & Double action.
Missing the loading lever . You could make one up :)
Great find. Enjoyed this thread.
In NZ British revolvers are a bit more common than US , but there's a number of both .
Adam's Beaumonts Tranters all look fairly similar ( I could be completely wrong) but improvements made & added patent got the name on the gun???
Your 1 is a real hand cannon:)
Well done acquiring it.
Have a great day
( Ma Te Wa)
(Nga mihi)
Kind Regards.

The original Adams self cocking revolver had a bullet mould that made lead bullets or balls with a small spike at their base. This spike threaded through a small hole in a very stiff leather wad and then the spike was turned over to hold the wad. The wad was stiff enough to hold the bullets in place until fired. This was fast to load and probably fine for most activities, but over time the bullets may have dislodged when the gunman was riding or running for example. So later Adams revolvers had a powerful rammer attached to the side of the barrel and slightly oversized bullets were forced in as with the Colt revolvers. This was slower but more reliable.

Back