• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IS THIS A SAFE SHOOTING BARREL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I can see typos trigger you, as this is all you have to do in life.
I didn't realize it was a typo, but I see you edited to correct it. It reminded me of an old Buck Owens song, that had what I posted in one of the lyrics and it brought back some good memories. Thank you for that. Now that I think of it the girl in the song was named Nellie, oh well. Now that I'm retired I have no where to go and all day to get there.:eek:

Thanks for the all the friendly replies and suggestions. Bought a borescope as recommended earlier and scoped it - the rifle has never been fired. Will have someone test it before I pass it on - safety is a real concern of mine - I do not shoot - just collect and preserve historical artifacts.

Really disappointed with all the negative criticism of my using caps when I first started. Read the rules and missed that part. My bad :( Rules are rules. Operated two Internet businesses for over 20 years with everything set to cap letters and never had a criticism.

I have dozens of late 1700's and early 1800's Kentucky style flintlock and cap lock rifles in my historical preservation addiction. Have never fired a one of them. Thought this forum might be a way of sharing my avocation.

No more postings - thanks again for all the friendly replies :)
A' student of arms' which is complimentary not a negative even if you don't shoot them. There are lot on this forum have an interest in such guns. Not my cup of tea though I have made them and have related books if tend to like the ethnological stuff & 17c & before pieces .
.Regards Rudyard

What gets under my skin is some people's need to publicly 'correct' other posters. Don't be a twit, send them a friendly PM. Being civil towards other posters is the standard.
My Grandfather always said "never correct a man unless it will cost you money."
I think that's great advice, but very few, including myself, often remember to follow it.
But, as far back as the written word goes, people have always rushed to correct others. Just human nature I guess.

Looks like a pretty nice rifle. Make sure it doesn't already have a load in it before you load it. pointed in a safe direction, prime the pan and spark it off to make sure it doesn't fire from someone leaving it loaded. It's also pretty easy to see if there's a load already in it by using the ramrod to see how far down the barrel it will go. Put the ramrod in all the way, grab it at the muzzle and then lay it beside the barrel. If it reaches all the way to the touch hole, you can be reasonably certain it isn't loaded.

You might try reading the forum rules before going much further... You obviously haven't...

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/forum-rules.108881/

*** 32: Do not type in all UPPERCASE - it is the Internet equivalent of SHOUTING.
One of the safety checks we do at Reenactments is "Spring Rammers". That has to be done on all rifles, muskets, fowlers, etc. before you can participate in the reenactment.

It's a simple test. Pull your ramrod out and put the flared end or jag end down the barrel. Most ramrods will have an inch or two sticking out the muzzle. Grab the end that is sticking out; pull it up about 8" and toss it down quickly. If it's empty, it will spring right back up. If there's a lead ball in there, it won't. Makes a bit of a thud as it hits the soft lead ball and won't spring back up into your hand.

Latest posts

Back