• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this the new or old TC lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Could somebody please tell me if this Renegade has the old or new lock?

Thanks

pix280640282.jpg

with the lock in the down position the hammer should have a least 1/2" from the fence or lock plate
The older hammer were about 1/16 from the fence
another way to check is to install a flint bevel down and if the edge on catches the frizzen midway it the old hammer the new style catches about a 5/16" from the top

The Cock is different on the Old (left) and the New (right) and as you can see, the new one is quite a bit taller & doesn't have that notch in the inside cut ? of it. Kinda taller & slimmer I guess you would say.

:wink:

Dsc08216.jpg

Yours appears to be the older style lock. If you send it to T/C they will upgrade it for you at no charge. It makes ALLOT of difference.

I always thought it was just the opposite. Did they even make any Renegades with the old lock? Is the new one that much better?

Not being a "T/C" kinda guy, I can't tell ya what T/C came with what lock. But yours is an old style, I can tell ya that. I do know I have one here that I picked up with an old style flintlock & plius the lock had been messed with & I sent it to T/C & asked they upgrade it. I even told them to invoice me for the repairs & was expecting to pay for such as the previous owner had messed up the frizzen spring & frizzen. They upgraded it for free, sent it back to me & it works wonderfully.

Based on what a couple of friends tell me that shoot ALLOT of T/C's, Yes, it is definately worth sending the lock in & having it done. Also I suggest ya get a new vent liner too if you don't have one of their new ones as it will make the ignition time much quicker too.

:thumbsup:

I have a TC hawken and a renagade with the old style lock. I called TC today and was told that the new lock was used with a scope? Don't see what difference it would make - not that I would mount a scope on a side lock not matter how bad my eyes get.

Back