• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Isaac Haines vs York

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big D

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My question is for an off hand rifle, is the ballance at the muzzle diffrent in the two guns?

40 cal Isaac Haines 38 in. B, 4.50
40 cal golden age 42 in. B, 5.10

I'm going to do a chambers kit, Im tired of shooting a muzzle heavy gun. The profiles are diffrent in the barrels, and I was just wondering whitch had a lighter muzzle feel.

Big D,

I agree with Mike...both balance about the same..Great!

However, I think you might prefer a C weight barrel which is about a pound heavier, but with the same weight distribution. Just feels better to me, personal opinion... but I've heard it from other shooters as well. I'd try to shoulder both and see what you think...

If you go with the Isaac haines from Chambers I'm almost positive that it's a C weight.

Not familar with the York, but I built up a IH hunting rifle in .54. At seven pounds it balances & carries like a dream, I love it.

FWIW regarding off-hand shooting and being muzzle heavy my experience with the following guns is:

1. York from Cabin Creek 45c, 39" straight GMB, overall length 54.75", wt. 8.6lbs., balance point from muzzle 28.5"

2. Chambers York 45c, 42" Getz swamped bbl., OL 58" ,wt. 8.5lbs., bal pt from mz. 33".

3. Isaac Haines 50c, Getz swamped bbl., OL 54", wt. 7.25lbs., bal pt from mz 31"

1. The best off-hand shooter since it holds steadier than the other two. Mz. haeavy by your definition?

2. Most accurate but not as steady OH as the "Creek"

3. Very difficult to hold steady OH but good enough for hunting and most comfortable to carry in the woods.

I wish I could shoot my Chambers York as well as the "creek" since it is more accurate (off the bench) but I just can't hold it as steady :m2c:

Thank you very much guys. Squire John, your balance point measurements will help alot. thanx

Back