• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ist may Opening of Duck season in New Zealand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euan

Pilgrim
Reaction score
the 1st saturday in may is almost as big a day as Christmas here in New Zealand. I just shot my first Duck Opening for 14 or 15 years. had a very enjoyable day. The day was clear, calm and not a cloud in the sky. So not Ideal conditions for Duck hunting. They were flying high and not big numbers. But we managed to call a few into our pond in one's and two's. i took my old Pedersoli percussion side by side 12 bore. first time i've used Bismouth, so was a little apprehensive. But it preformed fine, with 1 shot a good 35 yards that folded up a nice mallard drake. the load i used for the day was 3 drams 2f of our local NZ made Holy Smoke Blackpowder , 4 card wads 2 mil thick, then 1 1/4 oz Bismouth No4 shot, then standard overshot wad on top.
Hopefully I can load a photo or two of the we pond etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    146.5 KB
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    149.4 KB
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    375 KB
I love duck hunting but got too old for all the work and time involved ... plus my retriever died recently.

The ducks in your photo appear to be ducks related to mallards but some show a black bill and a speckled appearance. Will you fill me in on the species?

I love duck hunting but got too old for all the work and time involved ... plus my retriever died recently.

The ducks in your photo appear to be ducks related to mallards but some show a black bill and a speckled appearance. Will you fill me in on the species?
They are Mallards. But a lot have interbreed with our Grey Duck.

You had me perplexed there with the opener for duck season, but then realized you guys are going into your winter.

Back