• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question regarding a 1904-1907 shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dundee

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello to my lovely fellow muzzleloaders. I have a question that isn't about a muzzleloader so please don't burn me at the stakes here but I figured that we all appreciate older guns and ya'll could probably help. I bought my wife a W. Richards Anson & Deeley Boxlock Hammerless 12 GA SXS Double Shotgun C&R for hunting purposes, but I am unsure about using modern ammo in that model. Some places online say that I cant at all and others say that it is all in the shell length and pressures that specific round puts out. I think she is mainly wanting to go after dove so slugs won't be in the picture. What do ya'll think? would a shorter shot shell be fine or is it a big risk?

stick with regular shells, nothing magnum at all
Probably be safest to load your own shells and stick to lighter powder loads. I'd hate to break an old gun like that with an ambitious load.

If you were a paid member you could access the premium members forums and we have a Non-Muzzle Loading section where this post would be most appropriate.
This one will likely get nuked as is proper.

Latest posts

Back