• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's a family tradition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are they holding their guns so low?
Think about it---that way it's farther from their face. I feel that they know it is not safe. Many of them even turn their heads away from their guns when they fire.
What I was wondering.......why do many of them use colored duct tape to tape their guns together?
What could they possibly be afraid of?

BILLYGOAT said:
BUT I feel holding the gun down like they did would be more of a hazard? What is the reason for that? :hmm:
I would venture to say the reason is so when it blows up it's not right next to your face. :(

Did you also notice the rags wrapped around some of the guns by the breech end of the barrel. I'm guessing thatis to keep schrap metal from being blown very far.

No offense but after watching that video a second time, that tradition should either be retired or the powder limited to 100 grains. :)

That's nuts!!!! Murphy's Law is always present. He can and will get someone some day. Don't give the press ammo to use on everyone. :shake: :youcrazy:

Tom

I agree, after a second look I like the fun of shooting muzzleloaders, but I feel they should load a mormal load and all line up and shoot in the same direction and have the gun up to the shoulder. In short be more organized and safe.

BILLYGOAT said:
I agree, after a second look I like the fun of shooting muzzleloaders, but I feel they should load a mormal load and all line up and shoot in the same direction and have the gun up to the shoulder. In short be more organized and safe.
+1

Shoo, boy! :shocked2: Scary stuff. I just can't approve discharging firearms in the direction of others, or deliberately overloading muzzleloaders, no matter what "control measures" are in place.

This sort of thing violates the basics of gun safety rules.

I applaud the tradition itself ... but why not have them all fire in one direction, with limited loads, and without shooting toward anyone?

:confused: I'm not sure how to respond after watching the video. I did not get the "chanting" or "poetry" or whatever you want to call it. It is the south so I imagine there are a lot of old traditions that still live on. The firing of the muzzleloaders is even an old tradition, more so in Mexico. Loading the rifles past what they should is just plain stupid. I'll leave it at that.

Latest posts

Back