• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's a shame!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

69 Cal.
Reaction score
That so called Traditional Muzzleloader fans, shun the use of traditional lubes and methods. They use all kinds of expensive and non-traditional products to achive the same or inferior results to what they can achive using traditional products and methods. Why is it bad to use plastic sabots but it's ok to use synthetic lubricants? I see no difference.

Swampman said:
That so called Traditional Muzzleloader fans, shun the use of traditional lubes and methods. They use all kinds of expensive and non-traditional products to achive the same or inferior results to what they can achive using traditional products and methods. Why is it bad to use plastic sabots but it's ok to use synthetic lubricants? I see no difference.

Well Stumpy ... Sperm whale oil IS a bit hard to come by aint it? :hmm: :blah:

Davy

This reminds me of the carbon vs wood arrow debates over on the traditional archery forums.... :grin:

Ron

I've used whale oil and it's no better than olive oil. Bear oil, hog lard, deer tallow, bee's wax, olive oil, and combinations of these are excellent lubricants. They are cheap or free.

Hey Ron,
Carbon vs. wood? Hell, we have a primitive archery course at our club site. We all use arrows made (shafted) from a stick. No dowels, glue on knocks etc. At the Pacific "primitive" you wouldn't believe how many folks show up with doweled arrow shafts, plastic fletching and knocks and field points.

On the lube subject, spit has always worked for me. last time I checked it was free.

Charcloth

Man I hope this doesn't start into me having to use or make a hammer forged barrels and give up my electric drill press and bandsaw. :confused: Seriously how far do we take this, cause last time I went to an event I didn't see anyone walking in or riding a horse to get there.

After all of this I do use a lot of bear oil for things.

Charcloth,

You need to go over to the traditional archery forums and start that debate. Doweled vs hand made primative woods arrrows....BTW I shoot doweled wood arrows but with real turkey feathers... :grin:

I am just getting into flintlocks and can't really debate too much. Right now I just melt Bore Butter into my pillow ticking patches. Maybe if I just used olive oil or spit I would feel more traditional.... :bow:

Ron

This topic is re-opened for discussion.
I locked it in fear of another traditional vs. modern battle starting.
After discussing it with our administrators I decided to open it back up.

Swampman said:

I personally try to keep things as traditional as I can but in this modern day it's hard for me to convince myself to use whale oil to protect my rifles when I can get a much better product that will IMO protect my investment better off the Wally World shelf.

As far as shooting materials go, I make every effort to be as non-modern as possible by running my own ball, cutting my own patches, and making my own patch lube...etc.

HD

I think whale oil would be a very rare lubricant for use in muzzleloaders. The cooking shelf at Walmart will provide all we need for lube. The fabric section provdes all we need for patching. Now if they just sold power and flints.

I used to use I think it was called Liegh Valley Mountain Man Lube on pre cut patches that I kept in a primer tin. First it was a Pain in the ^$$ to get the thing open and get just one patch out of that thing and second if you left it in there for a week or two the patches would dry out and the tin would rust shut.
Now I cut my patch material into strips and stick one end in my mouth and cut the patches at the barrel. I think it works just as good as the mountain man lube did and its cheap, unless I run out of spit and have to start drinking to get it back again. :shocked2:

I love it! I love it! We all sitting in front of our computers, on the Internet, and discussing what is and is not traditional? Anyone see the irony in this?
Ok let’s get traditional. Unplug the computers and we can use smoke signals to carry on this discussion.

mwindy said:
I love it! I love it! We all sitting in front of our computers, on the Internet, and discussing what is and is not traditional? Anyone see the irony in this?
Ok let’s get traditional. Unplug the computers and we can use smoke signals to carry on this discussion.

We've covered this point many times. There is no irony, any more than a professor driving his hybrid car to class to teach ancient history or using a projector to display and image of Ancient Rome in the classroom.

We're aren't history, we're just discussing it.

Actually Claude we now use Power Point graphics and images stored on DVD for presentations. Most of our assignments are turned in on disk or E-mailed to us. I have not used a projector in years and I get fewer and fewer reports turned in on paper!

and here in the southeast most of us history type teachers lean toward pickups and the smaller SUVs and grumble about what would have happened to the petrolium companies "back in the day".

I think it's a regional thing.
:hatsoff:

Ive bee using lard from the grocery store.Seems to work good.Wanted to mix in bees wax but havent seen the bee man yet.Its free so I can wait.

The only way we are going to get back to traditional hunting equipment is to develop a time machine and go back in time. I have come to a conclusion that the days of "tradtional equipment and practices" is just about gone. I for one enjoy my longbows and now a flintlock. I try to get be as "traditional" as possible and support anyone that does the same.

Ron

Swampman said:
I've used whale oil and it's no better than olive oil. Bear oil, hog lard, deer tallow, bee's wax, olive oil, and combinations of these are excellent lubricants. They are cheap or free.

While olive oil is certainly not 'synthetic', was it used as lube for patches "back in the day"? Seems like it would have been an expensive import at that time.

I think one has to look at the intent of orriginal muzzle loading today.Yester year it was to survive, today it's to have some fun and try to relive some of the feeling of yester year. When it gets legalistic like everything else man has put his hands to , the fun stops.
Bob

Back