• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's been a long time coming but look out Deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well after many years of thinking about doing it. I did it I bought a Iowa Muzzle loader first season Deer license in Iowa.
I have the rifle TC Rengade .54 all the accessories. Season is Oct. 15th-23rd. I hope to get to hunt four days.
Things to do shoot the Muzzle loader with Dutch's method and patched round ball and see if I can hit the target.
I have to say I'm looking forward to it. Question is your suspoise to hunt with a fouled barrel one shot then load to hunt won't it start to rust before the season ends ?

Or develop a load with a good homemade patch lube, to season the bore, that's what I do and no rust for weeks on a fouled bore.
In fact I have completely stopped worrying about it.

B

Eric Krewson said:
Work up your load with a clean barrel and forget about fowling your barrel to hunt, it is not necessary. TC guns shoot very well, no need to shoot out of a fouled barrel.
What he said... :thumbsup:

Just remember to make sure you don't have gobs of residual oil in the barrel and flash channel prior to loading....swab the barrel with alcohol first.

Don't buy into the "barrel seasoning " myths either...You'll regret it.
You can always shoot your gun at the end of the day....clean it and reload the next day.

That is what I find puzzling shooting once at beginning of day in the dark to fowl it or shooting it at the end of day. Either way I scare the Deer away. I read where it was suggested to just shoot 40gr's of powder wipe bore load and then go hunting.
But how long before it starts to rust ?
I have also read some people leave there gun loaded the whole season till they get a shot.
I will say this is all very confusing information.

Shooting from a fouled barrel is something I feel necessary for spot on accuracy.
Your first shot of the day from a clean barrel will cause the ball to hit about a half inch from point of aim at 50 yards. All this is in my experience and that of quite a few others.
That deviation shouldn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference when shooting deer or a larger animal.
On the other hand if you are hunting chipmunks I feel it would be good to use a pre fouled barrel.
If you do not fire the pre fouled rifle during the day, clear it at night and pre foul the barrel the next morning

Prefouling was developed for target shooting and for hunting chipmunks, sparrows, rats and all other wildlife where a half inch at 50 yards would be a crucial variation.

Dutch choultz

I leave my rifles and smooth bore turkey gun loaded for months if I don't get a shot during the various seasons. Seeing as how I build my guns with a lot of hair pulling and frustration along the way, the idea of leaving them dirty for even a short length of time doesn't fly with me.

That said, with minute of deer accuracy necessary for a clean kill, 1/2" one way or the other isn't going to make any difference in the bottom line.

With my 68 year old eyes seeing only blurry sights it sure doesn't make any difference.

colorado clyde said:
Eric Krewson said:
Work up your load with a clean barrel and forget about fowling your barrel to hunt, it is not necessary. TC guns shoot very well, no need to shoot out of a fouled barrel.
What he said... :thumbsup:

Just remember to make sure you don't have gobs of residual oil in the barrel and flash channel prior to loading....swab the barrel with alcohol first.

Don't buy into the "barrel seasoning " myths either...You'll regret it.
You can always shoot your gun at the end of the day....clean it and reload the next day.
Nothing puts folks of shooting with black powder any better than all the horror stories of rusting and corrosion.
Usually touted by folk that have no idea.
The corrosion elements are salts in black powder fouling.
Animal fats and vegetable oil hold these salts in suspension.
Mineral oils don't!
Water dissolves the salts to.

My bores are coated in animal/veg oil mixes folded or squeaky clean and no rust exists.
Each to there own but I don't lose sleep about my guns rusting.
I have a gun in the cabinet that has been loaded for two weeks, no rust.

B.

Wasn't trying to start an argument Britt!
Many guns in the U.S. have been ruined. eBay is full of rusty barrels and Bobby Hoyt makes a living re-boring barrels because people have neglected their guns.....Many under the false notion of barrel seasoning propagated by T/C.

Smoothbores act differently than rifles as do 12L14 barrels versus chromed bores.

Real BP and substitutes also behave differently..

Some guys can get away with a lot more than others....But one fact is undeniable.....A clean well oiled gun is a happy gun. :v

The small difference on where a gun shoots first shot vs. a fouled shot is so small, it shouldn't make a difference but if it does to you take note as to where your first shot goes and adjust the aiming point for your first shot.

Ok thanks and my Deer tag came in the mail today. I am excitied. No 1/2 inch would not matter. I did reread your papers you sent me Dutch. Thanks
Ordered some patching and a new ram rod from Track of the Wolf. I think soon as I get some time off I will be shooting it and see if I can get it sighted in.

So where you hunting at in Iowa?

I pulled out of my farm in Southern Iowa yesterday and in the soybean field next to the road looks like a patch of weeds sticking up over the beans. Looked like deer antlers, and it was deer antlers. Very nice deer antlers. he was laying down with his head up. I turned around to go by again and get a picture, but the buck decided it did not want his picture taken.

shoot me a PM and if you like some advice let me know. I have shot a lot deer in Iowa.

Fleener
Iowegian born and raised.

I too have left a ML loaded for a year. The only thing I have found is that after it has been loaded for so long the point of impact is several inches higher. I assume the bullet is sticking a little after sitting for so long.

Fleener

Back