• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's Official: Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 70 pound coyote is likely a red wolf. They do look similar other than color. Red wolves were stocked 15 years ago in North Carolina. Not sure if they stocked them in other areas. My brother saw one this year while we were hunting in Virginia. I have a friend that shot one in the same area about 8 years ago. He called the game warden who showed up and took the carcass but would not identify what it was. We hunt about 10 miles from Warm Springs Virginia.

BrownBear said:
Loyalist Dave said:
I love dogs, and support dog rescues in this county and in a couple of others, so I have no animosity for strays, and often a good "mutt" is the best dog one ever owns..., but loose dogs that destroy livestock... :cursing:

LD

Same boat for me.

Best shot I ever made with a muzzleloader was a labrador chasing a deer. He was a little over 100 yards out and going flat out. More like he ran under the 54 cal ball, but it sure rolled him. And yeah, he was wearing a collar and tags.

The Three Esses applied in that case:

Shoot.
Shovel.
Shut up.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You think you have problems with coyotes. Wait until you add wolves (they eat coyotes), grizzly bears, black bears, mountain lions, linx, and coyotes. If it eats something else, we have it in western Montana. And our deer, elk and moose populations are declining.

Mark Horvat

We have some large aggressive coyotes here in NE IA. They are hunted with a vengeance as a continued open season. I had one go after my dog right under our mercury light, 10' from the house!

In the last few years, several friends have seen mountain lions, I have seen big cat tracks less than 1/2 a mile from my front door. The DNR says they aren't here but they also have a map on their website that lists confirm sightings... :idunno:

Strange but we have coyotes here in NE Ohio as well. I'm about 60 miles from Cleveland, and we have to be careful with the dogs when we let them out at night.

The local village has setup special kills to eradicate some of them, but they are still out there. You can hear them yelping and singing especially in the summer.

Careful what you "see" and report!!!!! remember the Spotted Owl?????
Here in Maine there are areas where trapping is banned,,Canada Lynx,bob cats in the area,, can't chance an "accidental catch"...no snaring coyotes in those areas either.
There are no wolves either!!!!!!however the picture I gave to the State Biologist of a track,was believed to have all of the points and size that would identify it as one wolf track where there are none,,,,I'll go with that,,or risk closing a large wooded area to hunting/trapping.
Some have reported sightings of Mountain Lions as far into the state as Abbot Village but without body to confirm it,,there are none,oh and if you provide a body it will cost you....Just afew years ago a hunter shot a hybred/husky/ none wolf,there are none in Maine,however DNA/lab testing proved different,,he was charge with killing a protected animal while hunting,,His argument was a feral dog/ husky, chasing deer cause there are "no wolves" in Maine,,,,he lost,,

Well luckily I'm the guy that does the "reporting" if I have to take one out. If it is a dog with tags we'll be following it up to charge the owner, and the farmer's insurance will want to know whom to sue. Three prize sheep ain't cheap.

LD

Hey, is that Warm Springs,Va. in Bath County. If so then it is likley Red Wolves. I hunted that Area about 3 years ago and could have sworn I saw wolf tracks.

They are in every county in Ohio. Shot two in Perry and four in Burton last year, 50 cal PRB.

Latest posts

Back