• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jackie Brown Smoothbores any good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Afternoon all. I was just wondering if any of you have experience with Jackie Brown as a gunmaker. Whats his quality like?

I bought one a couple of years ago, and sent it back. The replacement was no better, so I sent it back, too. In all fairness, I think he was going through some rough times then, and these two guns may not be indicative of his quality now. Maybe a search would turn up some more info, I know this has come up before.

Some people like his work. The one I saw made a India gun look good. Grain on the forearm was at a 45 degree angle to the barrel. No, not the figuring, the GRAIN. :confused: :shocked2: :confused:

That blank should not have been made into a gun, it should have been sent to the toothpick factory or the paper mill.

BUT, that's the only one I have seen.

If I were looking for a gun in that price range, I'd up it a couple hundred bucks and get a TVM.

At least with TVM you know that you are going to get a good basic rifle. With Jackie...well, you never can be quite sure what you are going to get.

I waited a very, very long time for delivery. Then I sent the gun on to a skilled forum member to correct deficiencies. I could probably have sent it back to Jackie but I did not want to wait any more. I could have, and should have, waited for build and delivery from TVM or others. In fairness, I know that JB guns from years ago were much better quality, and that he was going through a very bad patch of personal/family illness etc at the time. Perhaps things are better now. He always seemed like a gentleman on a number of occasions when we spoke. It would be a very wise move to see the piece before contracting for delivery.Good smoke, Ron in Fl

BILL,
With all due respect to everyone who answered your question re Jackie Brown. I have one of his early rifles and It is one of the most handsome well done rifles I own. Granted, he went through some tough times and things started to slide downhill some, but take a good look at what he has to offer and I think you will find that he has a lot to offer for the price you will pay. All of that aside, meet the man and then judge his sincerity. They don't come much better as a person than Jackie.
Mark

Papa said:
BILL,
They don't come much better as a person than Jackie.

Yet he still let the quality go downhill to the point that he had unhappy customers? No thank you.

I have had some pretty interesting experiences with Jackie myself. I ordered a gun, had a special barrel delivered to him, waited over a year when it was only supposed to be a couple of months, asked for and received my parts back (the stock I received was walnut, was supposed to be premium+++ maple).

About three months later I happened across a Carolina Smoothbore he had listed for sale, new gun he said he had built for a customer but the customer hadn't been able to take. The gun was identical to the one I had ordered, with the exception of the barrel - I ordered the gun and am extremely pleased with it.

I have always suspected that I actually received the gun I ordered, because there were just too many similarities. Premium+++ maple stock, Chambers Colonial lock, domed patchbox...built in the same timeframe. It is my opinion it was a simple mix up on Jackie's end.

I would certainly recommend Jackie's product on the basis of the one I own and several others I have handled. However, rather than contracting for a gun to be built, I would recommend ordering a gun he already has built.

I can also recommend TVM as some others here have, they are great to deal with and in the same general price range as Jackie Brown.

Good luck with it -

Spot

I have one Jackie Brown smoothbore and one TVM smoothbore, both are .54 and both have the same
Long Hammock barrels. I could not be happier with ether gun. I have to admit my Jackie Brown gun was ordered before he had his troubles, back when
he had a big corner booth in commercial row at Friendship. I am afraid I may have just told on myself as to how long I have been going to Friendship!! :bow:

back when
he had a big corner booth in commercial row at Friendship. I am afraid I may have just told on myself as to how long I have been going to Friendship!!
I remember when a guy used to sell pottery out of that booth....

Thanks for the info. Its been a pretty depressing batch of replies so far. can you perhaps email a pic or two?

I have only seen one first hand and that was about 12 years ago or more. It was ordered with a Green Mountain and a Siler and came with a Colerain and & L&R.
The barrel was really rough and rusty inside as though it had been unprotected during the browning process.

billholmes said:
Thanks for the info. Its been a pretty depressing batch of replies so far. can you perhaps email a pic or two?

It's not my gun so I can't, but take my word for it, very bad piece of maple, unsuitable for a stock, and the finish was so pale and blotchy you would think it was a minwax job.

I have never met J.B., don't have anything against the guy personally. All I know is that one gun and it looked like somebody's first build, and the fore-end grain was at a 45 degree angle.

I have heard lots of other stories, but they too are not mine.

Mike Brooks said:
back when
he had a big corner booth in commercial row at Friendship. I am afraid I may have just told on myself as to how long I have been going to Friendship!!

Hey Mike I went to Friendship once or twice before there were all them booths !!! Around 1960??

oldiemkr said:
Mike Brooks said:
back when

Hey Mike I went to Friendship once or twice before there were all them booths !!! Around 1960??

:eek:ff "Jackie Brown smoothbores any good?"

I have looked at 2 - both owners were happy and the guns fit and finish was very good.

I have contacted him and have seen his ads and he seems okay.

If I were to get one I would buy one already built however.

KHickam said:
I have looked at 2 - both owners were happy and the guns fit and finish was very good.

I have contacted him and have seen his ads and he seems okay.

If I were to get one I would buy one already built however.

Caveat Emptor! There is a saying in Italy that goes (loosely tranlated) - "A man who has been warned is half-saved"....

Huh........I remember a night in September 2006, I saw and bought a Mike Brooks English Fowler from TOTW and excitedly reported it to the brethren on this site and caught a bunch of sh*$##! from a few who told me outright that I was plumb crazy, I could've had TWO Jackie Brown fowlers for the money I paid, with a little spendin' cash left over to boot. Well, I stayed out of the posting fracas that ensued for an amazingly long time, silently enjoying the image of that smoothie that would arrive soon at my door. By the way I'm STILL smiling...actually a lot more, in fact, from all the joy that beautifully crafted fowler has given me since. My God, it IS a lovely, wonderful gun. When all is said and done, I got it dirt cheap.

Latest posts

Back