• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jager Butt Plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mod98

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have sunk the tang of the butt plate flush into the comb of the rifle and now as I set the plate down against the butt I notice a small gap between the plate and the butt. There is no light showing but I want to eliminate the gap. Is it simply a matter of screwing the plate to the heel and sinking the plate into the butt until the gap is gone?

Thanks

It is from Pecatonica as part of their Jager kit. It is in the traditional Germanic style similar in shape to rifles No. 2,3 & 4 in Vol. 1 of Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America.

If you have the back of the butt plate inletted to a 16th of an inch or less between the plate and stock you can then take the peen end of a ballpeen hammer and tap around the edges of the butt plate until all of the gaps are gone. Then file out the peen marks and finish the butt plate. :grin: you then have a fit like the old timers had and you will have done it the same way they did it. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back