• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Japanese Tanegashima Matchlock Arquebus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just won this at Rock Island Auction. Somewhere from mid 1500s to late mid 1800s. .52 Caliber 41 3/8 Octagon Barrel. The barrel has a block front sight, a pair of silver inlaid dragons, and a traditional grooved block rear sight. The stock features a mix of brass and silver accents with engraved floral, rabbit, and smoke designs.

Hope you enjoy seeing it! Love to be able to share.

Attachments

• 2 (1).png
    2 (1).png
    393.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 (8).png
    2 (8).png
    537.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 (4).png
    2 (4).png
    303.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1 (3).png
    1 (3).png
    224 KB · Views: 0
That is very, very nice. In a way, it's too bad because someone, sometime lost a great family heirloom. There is some history here. Are you planning to shoot it? I'm sure there are no safety issues. I don't know what I would do - I once traded off a very pretty shotgun because I wasn't willing to mess it up hunting.

That is very, very nice. In a way, it's too bad because someone, sometime lost a great family heirloom. There is some history here. Are you planning to shoot it? I'm sure there are no safety issues. I don't know what I would do - I once traded off a very pretty shotgun because I wasn't willing to mess it up hunting.
I don't often know the history on artifacts that I acquire. But many because someone passed on and their heirs had no interest. I am honored to be the Conservitor and try to find someone who will carry on the tradition.

If the bore is poor, on the one I already have, Bobby Hoyt from PA checked out the breech plug integrity (it was fine) and honed it ‘brand new’ smooth for only $60!

BTW - If you care to take it apart, PM RicktlyStL (@rickystl) or me 1st, as there is a trick.

The breech plug is very long and spiral threaded, like a CNC lathe ball lead screw … it should be easily removable by hand.

If the bore is poor, on the one I already have, Bobby Hoyt from PA checked out the breech plug integrity (it was fine) and honed it ‘brand new’ smooth for only $60!

BTW - If you care to take it apart, PM RicktlyStL (@rickystl) or me 1st, as there is a trick.

The breech plug is very long and spiral threaded, like a CNC lathe ball lead screw … it should be easily removable by hand.
THANK YOU! Great advice. Hopefully I will get it within a week or two. Will get back to you,

Lovely example - first saw these being shot at the World Champs in Madrid - ignition speed quite impressive. Just had to have a 'Matchie' - couldn't quite get on with the 'cheek' stock so had Rudyard (when he was staying with me) build a Dutch style snapping Matchlock - used a piece of recycled timber from a Church roof! One word of advice I understand the Metal used in the Japanese guns can be quite 'scaly' and may nor ream up cleanly you may have to consider relining the bore if you want to shoot it. Be warned shooting the burning rope guns is seriously good fun but don't wear clothing made of synthetic material - there's a lot of sparks fly about . During reloading put the end of the burning match in a 'safety box'. Most of all - enjoy it.

Finally got around to taking some pictures. It is just too blazing hot out there! But beat the heat and made a few pics

Attachments

• 0a.JPG
    0a.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0b.JPG
    0b.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    489.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2d.jpg
    2d.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 0
  • 3a.JPG
    3a.JPG
    937.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2937.JPG
    IMG_2937.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    564.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2955.JPG
    IMG_2955.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I can't speak/read Japanese, but I found a first edition in english! Mint! It popped up on eBay and I made a lightning strike! Fastest mouse in creation!

"THE JAPANESE MATCHLOCK
A story of the Tanegashima - by Shigeo Sugawa"

Attachments

• IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I can't speak/read Japanese, but I found a first edition in english! Mint! It popped up on eBay and I made a lightning strike! Fastest mouse in creation!

"THE JAPANESE MATCHLOCK
A story of the Tanegashima - by Shigeo Sugawa"
I too have the same book, the 1st edition in English, and it's fantastic. What is most curious, in the that book, and even on FB Groups sites specific to Tanegashimas, is that pictures and details of extant surviving examples of the sight inserts is seriously lacking.

I too have the same book, the 1st edition in English, and it's fantastic. What is most curious, in the that book, and even on FB Groups sites specific to Tanegashimas, is that pictures and details of extant surviving examples of the sight inserts is seriously lacking.
You had mentioned this book and I began an exhaustive search that finally paid off! Thanks for your help!

What a beautiful piece! Can you please explain the time frame? Are you saying this gun could have been made anywhere in that 300+ year span?

What a beautiful piece! Can you please explain the time frame? Are you saying this gun could have been made anywhere in that 300+ year span?
The model for this gun happened was when a Chinese junk beached on a small Japanese island "shima." Two Portuguese sailors showed their guns to the Japanese. The king bought these guns and tried to get his swordsmith to make more. He was unable to do this until the Japanese king imported a Portuguese blacksmith who helped the Japanese swordsmith to make some.

The Japanese "king" immediately proclaimed these guns were japanese invention and began making and selling them!

The Japanese made these guns from 1543 to 1850s. The Samurai loved them and they believed these were a Japanese invention. The Samurai only wanted true, traditional Japanese weapons, so even when better guns were made like the wheelock, then the flintlock, then the percussion, then metallic cartridges were made they refused to use "foreign" weapons. So they kept making these matchlocks for 300 years. The Samurai declined in the 1850s but they clung to the past up until that time.

So, when was this gun made? Who knows? I guess it was most likely during the 1700s or so. It was made much finer than the military weapons. Also the military weapons were larger caliber, average .70 or more, so this gun was possibly a family heirloom in .52 cal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back