• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jeremiah Johnson Movie question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifle(s):
one maybe two GPR Flints in at least a .50 caliber (1:60) perfect for roundball.
Pistol:
2 Lyman cappers (with belt hook).50 cal (wish they made em in Flint as well)
Tomahawks:
two in the sash
Knife:
one 9inch overall good and sharp.

And a good pair of mocs for the "get the hell outa Dodge" dash.

Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk said:
... And a good pair of mocs for the "get the hell outa Dodge" dash.

Grey Hawk

How bout a double hull canoe? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What were they thinking?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

the movie rifles were caplocks. I read a book about the real J. Johnson, he carried a .54cal Hawken rifle and many times a smoothbore caplock on his pack horse that was .72 (IIRC ? maybe .78) cal as well as a smooth bore pistol on his saddle pommel in .54cal. or so it said.

jethro224 said:
My point, however, was that it was a fictional movie we were discussing. Not any interpretation of a historical record, just entertainment. In the movie, Jeremiah Johnson started out with a .30 caliber. :v

And a very entertaining movie it is. It is fun, though, to nit pick movies, whether it is silk patching in "The Last of the Mohigans", the sneaker mixed in with the fleet in "Star Wars" or the jet contrails in "The Ten Commandments". All are excellent movies and I enjoy watching them more than once no matter what screw ups the makers did. I just keep in mind they are entertainment not history and settle down and watch.

how about the mountain men -with Heston and Keith was it any less believable :surrender: but i loved them both :thumbsup: you guys make me smile when i read the comments and then actually watch the movie again and see what you are talking about and at my age i need all the smiles i can get- thanks

The hell with Hatchets rifle and JJs rifle, I want that combination rifle/smooth double flintlock gun that the indian had cradled in his arms while JJ was making an idiot of him self trying to catch fish.

I like Costner's rubber heeled boots, and the Natives in thermal undershirts in "Dances with Costner."

Not to mention all those old CW movies where they are using Trapdoor Springfields :confused:

or those beards (dead animals?) in Gettysberg. :rotf:

Yeah they are all still fun to watch. :surrender:

One of the things that stands out about "Dances with Wolves" is the premise that in the 1860s there existed Sioux who knew nothing of white men.

By this time period, trade had long been established, the great migration and the gold rush had taken place, the mountain men had been all over the place and yet these Indians had no clue about white folks. Now, I've seen the film a few times and really enjoy it, but this is just so unlikely that I always wonder if J.F. Cooper didn't have a hand in writing the script. :rotf:

Musketman, they dont sell it in stores because they want us to spend all our money on shipping and handling charges. :( Damn, and I really wanted that Dancing With Wolves jazzercising video.

I wondered how JJ got bullets for his new rifle?
Unless hatchet jack had a butt load on him

Thats a very good question, as I have seen in this and other post regarding Hollywierds version of anything to do with firearms, they always seem to leave a few things out, that for the experienced eye and ear always seems to catch and then it knaws at us.
That being said, unless we can get an experienced QC type that knows his or her salt, to oversee the production, we can only watch these little bits of novelty for the entertainment value only.

OBTW: I still don't see how he got the rifle away from the body without taking the hands off :rotf:

Grey Hawk

sparky911 said:
I wondered how JJ got bullets for his new rifle?
Unless hatchet jack had a butt load on him

I guess he would have taken all the possibles that were on Hatchet Jack's person at the time. Later it shows Jeremiah and Bear Claw shooting an elk with it, perhaps ol' Bear Claw shoots a .50 caliber too and supplied him with them.

Assuming he did take his possibles and anything else he wasn't gonna need anymore, bein' dead an' all, maybe he had a bullet mold, worm, ball puller and other such stuff in his pouch.

See, if he was a Gander Mountain Man, he could have mail ordered that stuff. :surrender:

I think breaking off Hatchet Jack's fingers to get the "Genuine Hawken, .50 cal." would have changed the rating of the movie? :haha: :shocked2: :barf:

Back