• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jeremiah Johnson Movie question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The implication of the whole 30 / 50 caliber thing was that the size of the caliber was the reason for his lack of sucess in hunting. So they actually did try to work in something about not having enough caliber for hunting large game - for the modern viewing public. They even mentioned that the 30 caliber rifle was accurate enough with their comment about it being a ... genuine Hawkin.

That last settler's name? Quinlan or Quayland - or some spelling variation. Although, being that nervous/scared/shaky/clueless, how did he ever survive long enough to get that wife and kids, and get all the way out to those mountains?

At least hollyweird got the time period a little closer to correct for the types of "hawkins guns" they used - late 1840's edging into the Great Plains buff hunting era and California Gold Rush.

Yes, it is always interesting to see how hollyweird treats those messy little details called ... history.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Uncle Pig said:
For extra credit!

Who was the blond girl - the settlers daughter?

DANG! :shocked2: all the times i've watched that and i never give her a second look...pretty interestin! thanx! :thumbsup:

" Delta Dawn ... whats that furry thing that ya got on!" :hmm: :shocked2: :rotf:

Davy

Did you see the $5,000.00 elk? It was the one he shot when he was hunting with Bear Claw. It was shot without a tag and the State of Wyoming nailed them.

Are you sure it was Wyoming? All the sources I've seen say the movie was shot exclusively in Utah...or is there more to the story?

" Delta Dawn ... whats that furry thing that ya got on!"

Sorry, that wasn't Tanya Tucker; Helen Reddy sang "Delta Dawn"....and don't ask me how I know that! :redface:

As far as "smoke" goes, I don't think there was ANY scene involving a rifle or handgun firing that showed the true nature of black powder....IMHO.

I found this on Wikipedia.
"Delta Dawn" is a song written by former child rockabilly star Larry Collins and songwriter Alex Harvey, and recorded by a number of artists, most notably Bette Midler, Helen Reddy and Tanya Tucker. Tucker's version went to #6 on the country music chart, and Reddy's topped both the pop and adult contemporary charts. Included on Tucker's first album, the song was released as a single, and it became the thirteen-year old's first hit. Reddy cut the song shortly after Tucker's version became a hit, and her version became the seventh-highest selling single for the year 1973 on the pop charts, hitting number one on the week ending September 15.

The movie was shot up on the pass above Jackson, Wyoming. Now there could have been some sets around Park City, Utah not uncommon.
I had a friend who was a wrangler for the movie company. From my visits up there at the time the weapons were mostly fake. The rifles and hawks etc were molded rubber and painted. When doing close ups that used real firearms.
The extras were Buckskinners from around the area. The movie company would not allow them to bring there own rifles Etc. They had to carry the rubber rifles and knives. Many of the Buckskinners quit rather than be filmed with a rubber rifle. As far as the shot of the Hatchet Jack rifle I am sure it to was a rubber rifle. :hmm:

Hatchet Jack's rifle appears to be an Italian or Spanish generic half stock. Nothing special and not much different from what CVA and Dixie used to import. Dixie might still be bringing them in. If you don't care about having a close copy of a real Hawken, and you want this style, T/C makes the best one in terms of quality and guarantee. The Lyman Great Plains rifle is closer to the mark in terms of appearance. If you want a truer copy of a Hawken, check Track's site for a used or new one. The price will be a bit higher though, but worth it.

According to the imdb credits and the movie's credits, the entire film was shot at various locations in Utah.

Rubber rifles are used in certain scenes in many films, but some of those rifles were real albeit imported guns. The rubber guns might well have been an improvement by comparison.

Russ I don't know where that Utah Info. came from but I can assure you its wrong. I also don't know anything about stage props but I do know rubber guns from real guns. They were molded rubber.
I do have a fine leather gun bag from the set however. PS I do know the difference when I am in Wyoming and when I am in Utah. Really I do. :rotf:

:redface: :redface: Russ you are right I don't know what I am doing. I confused the Johnson Movie with the Mtn.Men the Charlton Heston Fleck. The Johnson Movie was filmed in Utah as you stated. The Mtn. Men with Heston was filmed near Jackson Hole. :redface:

Most films use rubber guns for fight scenes and scenes where the guns will be dropped into water or off a cliff. The close up guns usually are real. The Internet Movie Data Base or IMDB has most information about films and actors. It's fun to look up stuff on it and it's free too. :thumbsup:

Looked to me like when Red Shirt first spots JJ 'hand fishin', he's sportin' a swivel breach, one, what appears to be, rifled, probably the other smooth. Interesting if someone made a rubber gun copy of an SB. That's attention to detail!

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm not sure if it was a swivel breech or a musket with a cupped ramrod. Whatever it was, it wasn't made of rubber. I got my swivel breech out, and the muzzle looks a lot different than the gun in the film. Some muskets had large cupped ends on them and it can look like another barrel from a distance or if you don't get a good look.

It's a side by side. Big hole on the right, small hole on the left, ramrod below. You get a little better view in the scene where Jeremiah gives him the elk hide.

Good movie which I've viewed out of necessity a couple of times because of too much "junk" on the tube. To really enjoy the movie you have to overlook the "guns" and some of the hunting scenes, but mostly 2 other factors that need a lot of overlooking. One....most true mountain men were anti-social, had distorted moral compasses that were reinforced by their extremely harsh enviroment and would have been social outcasts had they remained among "the peoples". Books and movies have glorified the mountainmen because we the viewers and readers fantasize their "glossed over" attributes as being in the best traditions of the American spirit and which Robert Redford portrayed so brilliantly. Judging from some photos of mountain men, none came off anywhere near as handsomely debonair as Robert Redford, probably none were so caring as JJ and most didn't constantly come in contact as JJ did w/ the other characters in the movie. This might be a lot to overlook in a movie for some, but personally I'd view it again.....Fred

Back