• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Klien stains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a walnut stock that is ready for stain and finish. It is a pretty light walnut so it will need stain. I saw some pictures of some guns stained with the stuff from Jim Klien and I like it but I dont know how to get ahold of him. Any of you guys have an e mail addy or a phone number so that I may contact him. Also I thought I might ask which one of his stains would be good for the light colored walnut that I have ( If he has more than one type of stain)

James Klein
791 T. Drive South
Fulton, MI 49052
(269) 729-4407

I don't know how old the business card that I got that off of is so the information might not be correct anymore.

Log Cabin Shop sells the stain.

I've experiment with the Dark Brown, Golden Brown and Reddish Brown and I say, they're dark, you probably won't need too much on that walnut.

Ian, I have the same address for Jim Klein that the Ohian gave. These stains were developed by Homer Dangler here in Michigan. Jim now sells them. I just completed a Viginia stlye rifle in walnut. After I filled the pores, I gave it a ''lick and a promise'' of the red- brown stain. In my estimation, I think it looks great. Having said that, alot of folks are opposed to staining walnut. It's your gun. Try the stain on some srap first.

I bought some paste wood filler from Sherwin Williams & a small can of oil based ebony stain. You mix up a small amount of this, mostly filler with enough stain to turn it black & fill the open pours with it. Walnut has open enough pours that they do have to be dealt with. After this drys for a few days you can tint the wood reddish (if desired) with some of Kliens reddish brown stain. I usually just finish it but some like the red look of old walnut.

Paul

Well, I used the Chambers finish on curly maple, so I didn't use a sealer, just put on a thick coat of oil and let it soak in.

But, like the others have said, you'll need a good sealer on that walnut with all those open pores.

I placed an order for the reddish brown from the log cabin shop and ordered the LMF brown from chambers and the finish oil he sells. Is there anything I am missing?

Ian, when I use to sporterize Mausers, I would fill the grain of walnut stocks with this filler I,d get from Herters. They ain,t in business no more so I bought some filler from Barbie Chambers. It works real well. I found that two coats does the trick. After I,m satisfied that the pores are filled I apply the stain. Then you can seal the wood various ways and then apply which ever finish you like. There are a great many opinions on how to treat walnut stocks, some folks stain em some don,t. It is up to person building the gun. Good luck I,m sure it will turn out fine.

Back