• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

John Moll

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BELCOUNTY

32 Cal.
Reaction score
mollvueappuijuoe.jpg
mollpatchbox.jpg
molltrigger1.jpg
mollwrist.jpg
mollappuijoue2.jpg

J'espere que

Here the last gun I make in the style of John Moll:
Sugar maple, 54 Colerain swamped barrel with a L and R LOCK
and a lot of pieces I made.
I'am interested by your opinion...
Thank you.
Sans souci of france

There are many things to admire in this gun. The workmanship is very good to excellent, fit and finish and overall architecture are very good. The carving is interesting and of a correct style.

If you would like to hear a few points for improvement:

The buttplate as it is shaped looks too thick. You can fix this by tapering the brass more.

The carving is a little "tall"- originals of this style had very low relief carving.

You could improve the "double-curve" of the lower line of the stock with a little study of originals.

I would be proud of this rifle. It's very fine. There are many of us with much greater access to originals and guns made by other craftsmen who do not achieve the same quality you have done.

I'am interested by your opinion...

Lehighs are my favorites. As a student, if not a maker, I have gleened some key points to look for. Please forgive me, as I know it is much easier to be a critic than an artist, but I will take your invitation to give my opinions.

I am certainly not able to do as well, but I have a couple observations: The wrist appears to be taller than it is wide, and this is not how Moll and the other Lehigh (Northampton/Allentown/Bethlehem/Macungie) smiths shaped them (they were noticably wider than tall). Finally, the Lehigh smiths removed so much wood as to be frightening in the slivers that remain. This is what makes them so graceful. A 9 pound rifle looks like a 6 from the side. The dish under the grip rail and trigger bow is cut higher than the lower profile of the forend (only ever seen on a Lehigh). That's what make the wrist 1/4" wider than it is high. The flats behind the sideplate and lock have very narrow borders on the originals. The good news is that it looks like you reproduced the typical low forearm (more than 1/2 of the barrel is exposed on the side flats). You also got the upper extension properly inset into the comb instead of going full width like the similar Bucks Co. (Even Eric Kettenburg missed this on a couple of his Lehighs).

You do beautiful work. The Lehigh :imo: is about as difficult a style to reproduce as possible. All the curves and lines have to blend properly (I always thought the whole rifle looks like it is flowing in every direction from the front of the trigger bow.

As I said. It is my favorite, so I am a little fussy about every little detail. I wish I had the talent to create such works.

Old salt,
I begin building rifles 6 years ago, all the work wich I make is enterely hand made from a blank by means of obsolete tools.
I realise myself the drawings and all the stages of the construction.
I have not receivea particular training for the work on wood and brass engraving. I just study mecanic before art decorative and architecture.

Thank you at all for the comments.
Sans souci.

Back