• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JP Murray Musketoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunguy98

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up this new in the box JP Murray musketoon recently.I've never owned a rifle-musket or musketoon before and I thought this one just plain looked cool.
I haven't shot her yet, just waiting on some supplies to arrive.
I guess my questions would be who can tell me something of the history of these guns during the Civil War? and does anyone else own one and what do they think of them for casual shooting or hunting?
FN49009.jpg

FN49010.jpg

FN49011.jpg

FN49012.jpg

FN49014.jpg

FN49015.jpg

I'm really looking forward to trying this out and seeing what she can do :grin:

They were made by Eldridge S. Greenwood and William C. Gray in Columbus, Georgia between 1862 and 1864. J.P. MURRAY was the Master Armorer at the Greenwood & Gray factory.
J.P. MURRAY was an Englishman and lived in Charleston, S.C. until his death in 1910.

It is believed they were finished "in the white" with copper colored brass fittings. The sling swivels and ramrod were iron.

The lockplate was fashioned after the 1841 rifle and was usually marked J.P.MURRAY/COLUMBUS GA.
There were two different styles of forward bands. One was a narrow band like the rear band with a small brass nosecap. The other was like your rifle, having a wide double strap band. This double strap style was used before the single narrow band.

There were also two different lengths of barrels, a 23 1/2 inch and a 24 inch.

Confederate Arms by William A. Albaugh III and Edward N. Simmons says, in part:
"... At least a portion of the firm's rifles were made under contract with the State of Ala. and records reflect that from Oct. 1, 1863 to Nov, 1864, the firm supplied Alabama with 262 Mississippi rifles, and 73 carbines for which they recieved payment of $18335.00..."

Information from:
Confederate Arms by William A. Albaugh III and Edward N. Simmons
and
FLAYDERMANS GUIDE", 6th Ed.

I don't believe Confederate Arms by William A. Albaugh III and Edward N. Simmons is in print now.
My copy was copyrighted in 1957, printed by Bonanza Books. The Library of Congress Catalog Card Number is 57-13480.
This book covers handguns, shoulder arms, edged weapons, armories and accoutrements as well as a directory giving a little information about most of the people and companys who produced arms for the Confederacy. It has 278 pages.

Here is a link to Amazon which shows several different copies available at several different prices starting at $45. I don't know if I would spend that much for it, but then, that's just me.
AMAZON LINK

Thanks for the link, I checked 'em out, but it does seem a little high for me. I'll have to think about it, but I bet it's an intersting read.

How accurately did they copy the originals to make my copy?

Hey Gunguy, That is a real eyecatcher. Did you get a good deal on it? I really love the style of it and am partial to the short, compact design. It looks like something that would be very practical to be in the woods with. Keep me posted on the pros and cons that you find on it.

From what I can tell I got a good deal on it. $385 OTD for a brand new never been fired gun :grin:
My supplies will be in on Monday and I have the day set aside to head to the range and see what this baby can do. I'm going to test overall accuracy and maximum effective range.
Should be a great day!

That is a great price. I looked one up after I saw yours to get an idea and the cheapest one I found was from D&N Mercantile, a Euroarms model, for $445.00. I thought that was not bad considering the other prices that I saw. Good shooting to you, and let us know how it goes.

not the same but my son has a .58 buff hunter/ cut down zouave. the shorties make a fine handy woods rifle. 60 gr. ffg and a 577 minie. :thumbsup:

Good buy! I have been craving one for my civil war CSA artillery persona. I have read that they kick like a mule when loaded with a ball or minnie--let us know how it shoots!

Killed my first cow elk with one just like it. Used a 525-grain Buffalo bullet and 70 grains of FFg. Don't get carried away with the powder charge cause you will lose accuracy fast. Patched round balls work very well for short range whitetails.

My Enfield Musketoon kicks about like a steel buttplated 20 guage shotgun when firing a 568 grain Lyman PH Minie' over 70 grains of FFg.

Not really bad, but bad enough that shooting 25 of them in a row can bruise up the shoulder nicely. :grin:

I'll 2nd the kicking part. I used to shoot an Infield Carbine in the team carbine matches on Saturday back in my NSSA days. I remember my shoulder being bruised up the next day, just in time for the regular musket team matches.
They are sharp looking guns though.

Yesterday was a bust because of all the rain and big thunderstorms that stayed in the area :cursing: .
I'm going to have to test her out on Wednesday. Hopefully the weather will be better.
I have heard these kick... will let you know how bad when I get back from the range.
Oh, by the way, this is a EuroArms made musketoon. I'm impressed, the fit and finish is top notch.

I finally got the Musketoon out to the range, man is she fun! :thumbsup: Does have a pretty good kick tho!
Offhand at 50yds I was getting an inch or less on some groups. It was way too hot to keep shooting today. Next time I'll try 100yds and more to she how she does.

Ya know, when you shoot any of these Rifled Muskets from the 1860s you get a real appreciation for the fact that those guys were trying to kill each other! :hmm:

And the bravery those men exhibited on the field of battle with those huge 58 caliber chunks of lead flying thru the air!

I know what you mean. I don't know if I'd be able to do it, especially with the wool uniforms and summer heat. It was 90 degrees today with over 60% humidity. I was sweating like a pig and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Zonie, if these guns were probably in the white when manufactured, why do the replicas have blued barrels. Would it be feasable to remove the bluing?

I think I'll leave well enough alone and leave it blued.

It is just speculation on my part, but I believe the reason many of the replicas have blued barrels is to sell guns to the general public. After all, to most people, a gun left in the white looks unfinished.
There is also the matter of corrosion. Oiled blueing does protect the barrel and keeps it from becoming "unsightly" in the eyes of most people.

I also know that most of the general buying public doesn't know or care at all about Historical Correctness so for them, a nice shiny blued barrel is just what they want. :hmm:

As for removing the blueing, yes, there are many ways to do this.
If I want the surface to remain nice and polished, I use something like Birchwood Casey Blue & Rust Remover. If I want a softer matt finish I use Muratic Acid (Hydrochloric Acid) which attacks the metal as well as stripping the blueing.

Zonie :)

Back