• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JP Murray Musketoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe I'm actually thinking of taking the bluing off :grin: was just the barrel in the white or was the lock and hammer too?

Zonie, OK, do you believe most of the guns of the CW period were in the white? I have a Zouave that I am refinishing, it is my understanding that they were blued? Kurt/IL

It is a fact that the 1853 Enfields were blued. Sam Watkins a Tennessee Confedrate, author of Company Ayche, writes of polishing rifles with a cloth and fine brickdust. Any blueing or browning would not last long in the field.

"...Zonie, OK, do you believe most of the guns of the CW period were in the white?..."

1855 U.S. Percussion Rifle-Musket: "...all metal parts finished bright..."
1855 U.S. Percussion Rifle: "...all metal parts finished bright (except) blued barrel bands observed..."
1861 U.S. Percussion Rifle-Musket: "...All metal parts finished bright (rear sight sometimes blued)..."
1863 Rifle Musket, Type I (and II): "...All metal parts finished bright excepting casehardened lock; rear sights sometimes blued, as are occasionally barrel bands and some other parts..."

The 1863 Percussion Contract Rifle commonly known as the Remington Zouave had, according to Flayderman's Guide, a "...blued barrel, casehardened lock with all brass parts finished bright..."

Colts 1861 Special Musket was; "...Metal parts for most of the production were finished "in the white," but bluing was standard on nipples, rear sights, and various screws."

As was mentioned, the British the Enfields which were used by both sides in that War had blued barrels and bands with casehardened locks.

Back