• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a wabbit...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went rabbit hunting today.
Nothing special but the gun, my .45 smooth rifle was still fouled from its last outing. I just patched the bore with my homemade lube.
IMG_20240706_194705.jpg

@Britsmoothy , Old thread, but an observation anyway :). Last time I was in the UK we took the train from Peterborough to King's Cross. Late Spring. I was amazed at the hares laying along the route out in the open, oblivious to the train's effects. Most were, in my mind, exceptionally large, compared to our cottontails. Obviously very limited, or non-existent hunting or predator pressure, evident by their relaxed demeanor.

Last edited:
Nath, my friend, before you started posting your exploits with your .45 smooth rifle I would never have given such a gun a second thought. You have educated me! :cool: Looks like Jess's nose is all healed after that recent tangle with the squirrel.

Britsmoothy, RE> rabbits/hares in the U.K.

So, in the first post you are holding up a Rabbit, or Coney? And the much bigger ones I saw lounging in the sun along the railroad tracks were probably Brown Hares?

If I understand correctly there is also the Mountain Hare, but it is only found in the Scottish highlands? And N. Ireland has a diff species unique to that island?

I also assume there is probably a population of escaped domestic rabbits? Along with cross breeds all added into the mix?

That's a lot of Leporidae LOL 😄 . I love the beautiful green English midlands. Have fun in the hedgerows w/your ML.

Yellowhammer out.

Last edited:
Britsmoothy, RE> rabbits/hares in the U.K.

So, in the first post you are holding up a Rabbit, or Coney? And the much bigger ones I saw lounging in the sun along the railroad tracks were probably Brown Hares?

If I understand correctly there is also the Mountain Hare, but it is only found in the Scottish highlands? And N. Ireland has a diff species unique to that island?

I also assume there is probably a population of escaped domestic rabbits? Along with cross breeds all added into the mix?

That's a lot of Leporidae LOL 😄 . I love the beautiful green English midlands. Have fun in the hedgerows w/your ML.

Yellowhammer out.
Yes Sir, I am holding a rabbit , Oryctolagus
cuniculus.
The brown hare is larger and does not burrow. Lepus
europaeus.
DSC06041.JPG

The Scottish mountain or blue hare is different again. Lepus timidus scoticus.
And the Irish hare is also unique. Lepus timidus hibernicus.
The UK recently had a near nation wide badger cull. Badgers got all out protection about thirty or more years by the bunny huggers but it has cost the taxpayer billions in compensation to cattle farmers due to the badger over population spreading bovine TB.
The upshot is that other species that get preyed on via the badger have thrived after the cull. The bunny huggers believe badgers only eat peanuts and worms 🤦.
Fools....

They can get a little bigger here.
Bear in mind the camera lens plays tricks.
The lens even makes the long rifle look huge compared to me just because it is that little bit closer to the lens.
Took a truck load of cottontails over the years. That Hare you have Thare is easily twice the size of our bunnies.
Really jealous.
Glad you got Jess out again.

Congrats on a nice rabbit! I would love to go hunting with a muzzleloader too, but that will still take a few years, as i have to apply for a license for a black powder firearm from my local police station first, and before that i have to figure out which type of permit will i need for a kibler rifle. Until then i will fully enjoy this site's hunting pictures and stories!

Back