• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just about fed up…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaBee133

40 Cal
Reaction score
.54 GPR yet again failed to fire. Clean and dry bore. Nylon brush through the fire channel. Popped a couple caps, paper moved.
90gr Swiss 3F, fresh CCI #11 Magnum cap (went off fine), t-shirt patch with T/C T-17 blue goo lube, .530 round ball. Tapped the stock to get powder into the channel.
Cap fired like it should. Not so much as a hang fire. Cost me a nice eating sized feral sow that was going to be given to a family that actually needs the meat.
And yet, the ROA that has been loaded and untouched for (where did the time go) 3-4 years? Went off like it had been loaded this afternoon.
Going to try again next week, have to work F/Sa/Su. Had to vent…

.54 GPR yet again failed to fire. Clean and dry bore. Nylon brush through the fire channel. Popped a couple caps, paper moved.
90gr Swiss 3F, fresh CCI #11 Magnum cap (went off fine), t-shirt patch with T/C T-17 blue goo lube, .530 round ball. Tapped the stock to get powder into the channel.
Cap fired like it should. Not so much as a hang fire. Cost me a nice eating sized feral sow that was going to be given to a family that actually needs the meat.
And yet, the ROA that has been loaded and untouched for (where did the time go) 3-4 years? Went off like it had been loaded this afternoon.
Going to try again next week, have to work F/Sa/Su. Had to vent…
Can I ask how wet are your patches? Not familiar with that lube either? Tell me about that too.

Are your patches wet enough that they’re fouling the powder?
90 grains of swiss 3f is a lot of powder to contaminate I would think. Load after popping cap, do not swab after popping cap, just enough gunk from cleaning hung up in the fire channel to restrict 3f from going into the powder chamber but enough to move grass with a cap? Is this a one time thing or multiples? IE bad luck with a sow in sights? Heck sorry to mention thw bad words on here but a dryball?

Back