• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just back from Friendship

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog6

Cannon
Reaction score
Just got in from Friendship. MAN it was so fun & we had a wonderful time. A little muggy one day & a lil rain another day ...that is how it is there, ya know ? Jus wouldn't be right without a lil rain at Friendship.. But regardless of that, we had a wonderful time & saw thousands of rifles, parts, people, etc. Put some faces with some people I have met on the boards & etc. Even bought a part or two & now have a lil work to do......

If you have never been to Friendship to the National Spring ML matches, you owe it to yourself to go at Least one time in your lifetime.... It was simply SUPERB !

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Knives

I go there to buy, so I bought 4 new barrels, 6 stock blanks, 5 Chambers locks, umpteen lil bags of misc odds & ends things I need all the time. Actually found & bought a dozen good hickory ramrods too which seems hard to find today.

Speaking of rain at Friendship, One time in the mid-1990's I was there and it flooded so bad that camper trailers were floating down the road! The water in that pretty little creek rose rapidly and furiously. Other times it was hot, dry and DUSTY. But no matter the weather it's always been a good time. Love the Gunmakers Hall. Birddog6 you should have your work in that Hall!

I may slip one in there some day when nobody is there..... that way they would let me in....

Boy they sure has some wonderfully built guns in there, I will tell ya that. In fact, lots of wonderful work in lots of booths there this year also.

Yep, you can dang sure get wet there & hot also. But I have always managed to have a good time, wet or dry. Also have a motel to go to not too far away & extra clothes with me while at Friendship & dry shoes.

Only thing I don't like about it all is that I have to leave !

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that knife you sent me came Sat. as I was working and there was a form in the mail that a package came for me. I'll get it in the a.m.

Did you by any chance check out the primitive side of the road? A couple of years ago it looked like a ghost town compared to several years ago. Just wondering if there is a bit of rekindled interest there. I was thinking of running up for a day.

Maxi: I had already mailed it when I received your request about the info. No actual name on the blade as it is much to hard to entrave unless it would be with a diamond tipped scribe & I don't have one. (59-60 Rc) It does have my mark at the top of the blade & I will get you the details on the materials & also the history of the wood itself & mail them to you. I hope you enjoy it.

I didn't count the primative campers, but there are allot of them this year. More than I have seen there in 4-5 years. There are enough there that I went over there 4 times to be sure I saw it all & all the goods.

Birddog, The French Broad Rifles had the one-of-a-kind rifle we're raffling off at L.C. Rice's stand: did you get a chance to see it? Hank

No, I didn't see it. Went over there several times & they were busy, I had already bought 4 barrels at another booth, so I didn't press it as I didn't want to fall in love with another barrel ! ha ha !

Got the knife today!!!! VERRRRRRRY nice. The hat was a nice touch too. Thank you very much.
Could you post a pic of the knife and tell the guys a bit about that very rare and unusual wood?

Thank you. I am glad it made it there safely & you like it. I mailed the data on the knife & wood to you today also.

The Kauri Elk Skinner knife (one of 3 made)is made from D2 tool steel, flat bevel ground, hardened to a 59-60 Rc, then -300 degree Cyro Quenched. The wood is Ancient Kauri & is said to them the oldest useable wood known to man today. This particular piece is carbon dated to have been burried in the swamps of New Zealand for 3860 years, and the tree was estimated to be about 1200 years old when it was burried. So the wood is over 5000 years old & the tree was actually growning 3000 years before Christ was born. This particular piece has been stabilized to make the wood harder & to enhance the grain depth & show it's beautiful grain. To really see the true beauty of this wood you need it out in the sunlight, as a photo cannot capture it's true depth & golden luster.
The sheath is made from 10 oz saddle leather, wet formed to the knife, hand stitched & then treated with a special solution to preserve it.

Dcp4607.jpg

Thanks Keith. Of course this knife with the rare and unusual wood is going to be passed on to my youngest son as are the two rifles you built. These are treasures.
By the way...I LOVE :applause: the hat!

Spot, southeastern Indiana...it is the site of the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association HQ...it's kind of the "Vatican" of the fraternity...there is a magnificent range....if, as I suspect, you're not yet a member of the NMLRA, please join...the magazine and the info are worth the low dues..Hank

If you have never been to Friendship to the Nationa ML Spring Matches, you owe it to yourself to go one time in your life.

You don't have to go to shoot, just the experience of being there is something else.... Thousands of rifles, thousands upon thousands of parts of every imaginable rifle you can think of. Hundreds of gunstocks, barrels, knives, if it is for a ML, they have it at Friendship. Gunmakers Hall will have some beautiful rifles that individuals bring to show their workmanship, and they are simply spectacular.

I go twice a year if I can, but always make it at least once a year. If you have children or grandkids, TAKE THEM ! They will Never forget the experience & will just absolutely love it ! Frontiersmen, Indians, Redcoats, Mountainmen, just lots of neat stuff for them to enjoy also.

Friendship, Indiana. About 22 miles East of Madison, IN.

Hank,

My family has a hunting Camp in Friendship NY... So I wondered if they had started havin' fur trader meetings.

Your right, I should join .... Thanks, I'll go sign up.

Spot

Are the festivities going year round, or do you have to go there during one of the two major shoots for the best experience??

Thanks, sse

Back