• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought my first flintlock. What do I need to take it out shooting, and what do I need to know to have a safe and enjoyable time.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your time. Flintlocks are not like modern rifles that you can pick up once a year and expect to be able to shoot 10X's. Plan on spending some time putting lead down range. A muzzle loading club shooting monthly is a good idea. Bill

That's how I got my start 2 years ago. Kind gentlemen teaching my dumb ass everything I know.

My 2 cents is spend some time watching videos on cleaning your gun.

Not as glamorous or exciting as many of the other topics but you want to make sure you’ve got your ducks in a row on the back end otherwise you can go from 1 muzzleloader back to zero muzzleloaders.

Black powder is wildly corrosive and will eat metal into dust if not dealt with correctly in a reasonable timeframe. Younger me found out the hard way.

You just can’t fudge cleaning like you could get away with on modern powders.

…And seconding go slow and EYE PRO!!!

Add not wearing eye pro on a flintlock to the list of mistakes I only made once, along with not cleaning my first muzzleloader barrel properly.

Black powder is not corrosive. Black powder FOULING is very corrosive. For that matter, the fouling left by substitute powders is also extremely corrosive. Rigorous cleaning and lubricating to protect the metal is necessary to keep you muzzleloader performing at its best.

Black powder has been left loaded for over 150 years and it will still ignite

Black powder is not corrosive. Black powder FOULING is very corrosive. For that matter, the fouling left by substitute powders is also extremely corrosive. Rigorous cleaning and lubricating to protect the metal is necessary to keep you muzzleloader performing at its best.

Black powder has been left loaded for over 150 years and it will still ignite
Thought that was implied with the statement being predicated on cleaning after firing but ok…

Back