• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just finished .62 boucanier fusil....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure love the way muzzleloading has come , Its great seeing these guns recreated , I remember when about the only thing I saw were cva kentuckys and Hawkens,some of these fowlers , muskets , boucaniers blow me away

Nice. And sorta familiar...

...only mine's a .72 and specifically copied after a 1715-1750 American-made gun of the Rev. War.

Enjoy her!

looks as though you have a nice New England club butt fowling piece and not a Buccaneer.It's easy to get those fowling pieces confused with the French Buccaneers and I almost bid on one last year.It's very easy to see how the club butts derive from the Buccaneers and Tom Grinslade's book is an excellent guide especially when you have French parts thrown into the mix and the butt architecture is so similar.I believe that there are probably no more than about 8-12 true Buccaneers in existence.I don't know of any Buccaneer muskets manufactured in America or initially made of maple.

Tom Patton

The original it is largely modeled after from American Made Muskets of the Revolutionary War, NRA Publications, 2003...

No. 2: A Club Butt Country Fowler, c. 1715-1750
Although technically a hunting gun with the fore-end of its maple stock reaching to the muzzle of a European barrel, this family fowler, which omits all but the basic components, is typical of many of the existing arms carried into the field by the American forces early in the Revolution and by the militia throughout the war. Its stock is the popular civilian club butt form, but the non-essential buttplate, escutcheon, sideplate, raised carving and bottom ramrod pipe are not included. The Queen Anne period, three-screw flat lock design with its reinforced cock has an unbalanced profile which suggests possible Colonist manufacture. An uneven, hand-forged iron trigger guard, however, is obviously American-made. The wooden rammer is secured in two upper, sheet-brass thimbles.

Length: 60"
Lock: 7" x 1-1⁄8"
Furniture: Brass/Iron
Barrel: 45", .70 cal.
Trigger Guard: 7-1⁄8"
Weight: 7.5 lbs

Back