• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just Got done Offing Some Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by where you are from I am going to go out on the limb and guess you are Army, or have something to do with the Army. Without ever looking at your profile. But where are you originally from. Picture being in PA where there is areas where the coyotes are as thick as syrup at good times, especially at night. You are on a wide open farm field with a good downhill slope. Flip on 5 KC daylighters and it is pretty close to well daylight. Add in a 65 grn .350 round ball exiting the barrel at 2200 FPS and 700 ft/lbs of energy with a max 70 Grn charge, at 120 yds it has 1,796 Fps and 470 Ft/lbs of energy. With a 75 yd zero at 120 yds it drops only 3.5 in more on the way to the target and a time of flight of .18 sec.

I would say I put about an additional 2 in of hold over and 3 in kentucky windage for a full value 15 mph wind of where center mass, or area where I believed the heart would be located. Figure those ballistics in and you get a center mass hit.

It cleared through both lungs, half way between shoulder and gut.

I don't know your shooting experience or how into ballistics you are, or your MOS in the Army. But if you are the average soldier with limited experience other than hunting, and some plinking. I can see why you would say really to this night shot. But if you are SF or maybe a good Infantryman I believe you could make this shot.

Oh can you tell I research the ballistics for every firearm I own and what it's capabilities are. But according to the average soldier the M16 has a maximum point target range of 300m. When it is actually 550m on point target and 800 on area target with the peep sights. Not dissing the Army.

And to add that was one shot just to see if it would. Most of my shots where no more than 50 yds. That was the only long shot. I put a 75 yd zero on my ML's so I can take a short or long shot with no drastic hold under or over. My .270 at 100 because it has a 450 yd point blank range

Me being a Soldier, my MOS, or the balistics of m16s or 36 caliber rifles have nothing to do with my comment.

30 years of hunting, shooting muzzleloaders, shooting at night and lots of predators called in and killed was the reason for my comment. A 120 yard shot into the vitals of a coyote in full daylight with standard iron sights and a 36 cal patched round ball is quite a feat, same shot at night. :idunno:

8 coyotes in 3.5 hours is simply amazing, you and your buddy should start hitting the calling competitions. I've known of several that were won with that amount of yotes in 2 days of hard hunting. Chris

That amounts to one coyote killed every 26 minutes :shocked2: .

Maybe they were :youcrazy: ! Possibly suicidal :shake: .

Maybe you are the best dog hunter ever, I dunno :idunno: .

I don't want to say :bull: , but, I would have liked to have seen this feat!

Congratulations on a fantastic hunt. :wink:

The only digital camera I have is my phone and I have gotten a few complaints on how fuzzy the pics are. I will try to photoshop themas best as I can before I post them.

Around here, If I miss a coyote, or am busted by them, they are usually in the next county within minutes.
At that point, I'll give the spot a rest for a couple of weeks.
They get educated real quick, it seems.

Add in a 65 grn .350 round ball exiting the barrel at 2200 FPS and 700 ft/lbs of energy with a max 70 Grn charge, at 120 yds it has 1,796 Fps and 470 Ft/lbs of energy. With a 75 yd zero at 120 yds it drops only 3.5 in more on the way to the target and a time of flight of .18 sec.

I think your ballistics program or the assumptions built into it are a bit out of whack. :shocked2:

Starting at 2200 fps will have 688 ft lbs of energy, but with a 75 yard sight in it will be 6.61 inches low at 120 yards and will be traveling at 861 fps and have 105 ft lbs of energy. Still enough to do a coyote but not the ballistics you think your are getting.

Back