• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just ordered a .69cal bluderbuss. loads used?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are essentially a 12 gauge. Anything you would use in a 12 should be ok. I had one of the Indian ones, but looked it over and sent it back; I didn't trust it. Ordered one from Pecatonica, put it together, proofed it with 200 gr FF + 2 oz. of 7 1/2shot. No problems. I have shot 'Buck and Ball' just to see the mess it makes. I shoot (at) clays occasionally, mostly to get the fun out of hitting the odd one, which sometimes gets a round of applause from spectators. I shoot a 12 gauge ball over 80 gr FF, can stay in a 2 ft target at 25 yds, but I wouldn't call it a tight grouper. Mostly I use it for salute firing; with 150 gr packed in, it makes a ferocious roar.
Blunderbuss1.jpg

I have not taken my 75cal blunderbuss hunting but I do love shooting it and so does everyone else I have allowed to shoot her.

This guy is a hoot to watch and has some good load information AND he got a Turkey with it too!
Loading in the Field:

Bringing home the Bird:

Gentlemen, with all respect, you may occasionally shoot the breech plug out of an Indian blunderbuss.
Really? Can you back up your assertion with anything other than your claim????

These forums are full of ‘alleged Indian made guns blowing up’ and the only one that has blown up was thoroughly tested thoroughly by the famed HP White Laboratory no less, which proved that there were 6-7 blank ~100-grn loads/charges down the barrel where the reenactor/shooter didn’t realize that the other previous loads had not go off ...

Oh yes, and the breech plug held in place I recall.

You may choose not to own or shoot one, and that is your right, but on these forums we go with actual facts and data.

Really? Can you back up your assertion with anything other than your claim????

These forums are full of ‘alleged Indian made guns blowing up’ and the only one that has blown up was thoroughly tested thoroughly by the famed HP White Laboratory no less, which proved that there were 6-7 blank ~100-grn loads/charges down the barrel where the reenactor/shooter didn’t realize that the other previous loads had not go off ...

Oh yes, and the breech plug held in place I recall.

You may choose not to own or shoot one, and that is your right, but on these forums we go with actual facts and data.
This is not quite true. The lab report could not find a specific cause but suspected a barrel obstruction. http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/special/HPWhiteReportWithPersonalInfoBlocked.pdf Also there have been at least 4 barrel failures in Indian made muskets, but the cause has not been positively identified in any of them. There has also been one failure in an Italian repro. User error is quite possible, even likely but no one can say for sure.

Latest posts

Back