• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just ordered my first flintlock fowler!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Lasley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im just a little excited!! and had to post this.just placed an order with TVM for a .62 early american fowler.I got a large Siler flintlock, single trigger, steel furniture, barrel length 42", and premium ++ maple stock. I also added a rear sight. I've shot caplock rifles all my life but this is my first smooth bore. Anyone else have a tvm fowler?

Not yet, But I plan on getting the kit in a month or so, Except I'll have a 20ga. Colerain Griffin Barrel inletted and a Queen Ann Lock. Not to burst your bubble, but if I can I would get the lock un-inlet and put a Queen Ann or a Round Face Colonial lock on it because a Siler Lock is a German type lock while Fowlers rifles used an English type lock. Also most if not all Fowlers used an Octagon to Round barrel IMHO. TVM will put a smoothbore fully Octagon barrel on it.

Not to worry. With a maple stock a flat cock, like the excellent Siler lock uses, is fine. The America gunsmiths would likely have used that style if making their own.

The TVM isn't a particular style or copy of any existing smoothbores. Just a good hunting tool.

Enjoy!

Steve;
May I suggest you ask to approve the ++Premium wood before he sends gun -- Matt ripped me off on that.

I have one. It's one of my favorites.

Their fowlers will have the Oct to round, not the straight Oct barrel so no need to worry. But if you want piece of mind just call them. It'll take a minute before they start on yours.

I too, would recommend you get a round faced lock instead of the Siler. It really helps the over all look, IMHO. The Chambers Virginia is a good one for the TVM Fowler. They can put it in just as easy as the Siler.

Thanks for all the advice. I just completed my order and it will have the oct. To round barrel and a queen ann lock for $50.00 more. Great customer service.

I have one of those excellent TVM smoothbores and have used it to kill deer. Mine also has a rear sight and uses the Chambers Colonial Va lock. It's a large lock and sparks like a champ. You will truly enjoy yours.

I truly feel sorry for you. You will likely come to want to use it as the only gun in your cabinet.

I have one that was built when Jack Garner was TVM. Matt may have built it.

Its a delightful gun. Excellent sparker and a great shooter.

The learning curve includes learning the gun in order to shoot reliably. Then it is learning how to hold the gun to get accurate placement be it either ball or shot.

Expect to get a lot of enjoyment out of that gun.

I too, would recommend you get a round faced lock instead of the Siler.

As with anything custom, there are a lot of options and choices. My fowler has an L&R Early English double-throat lock. It is very attractive, not overly large, has a 'waterproof' style pan, etc. It functions well. EXCEPT it is difficult to prime, difficult to clean and is a bit of a flint eater. Priming is difficult because of size and confinments. I made some primers just to help with this task. Same with cleaning, lots of little recesses that catch gunk. I remove the lock dunk in soapy water and scrub with an old toothbrush. Just like the real mountain men did.:wink: The flint eating part I am not happy with but see no way to correct that. While I'm rambling.... At the recent shoot I attended I met a builder....really talented builder. He showed me knock-out beautiful double flint shotgun with original damascus barrels he built. It has the same lock as my fowler and he is experiencing the same issues. So my long story is to carefully consider what you want, ask questions and make yer decision. You will have to live with the final product.

Back