• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just picked up a 1822 Springfield - looking for more info on it.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A34

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what other info you can tell me about this 1822 I just picked up. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    971.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4476.jpeg
    IMG_4476.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4477.jpeg
    IMG_4477.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Some would call it a Springfield 1822/28 others a Type 3 Model 1816. Either way it's a very nice condition musket. At Springfield they only made them through 1840, so yours was made towards the end of production. Has the Belgian cone in barrel conversion, which was a popular way to update the old flintlocks to more modern time. They were popular in the early days of the Civil War. I see it has someone initials carved into it. The metal and stock are very good condition, so I'm guessing it either didn't see much use, or someone really took care of it well if it was in service for a short time. Id shoot it.

Some would call it a Springfield 1822/28 others a Type 3 Model 1816. Either way it's a very nice condition musket. At Springfield they only made them through 1840, so yours was made towards the end of production. Has the Belgian cone in barrel conversion, which was a popular way to update the old flintlocks to more modern time. They were popular in the early days of the Civil War. I see it has someone initials carved into it. The metal and stock are very good condition, so I'm guessing it either didn't see much use, or someone really took care of it well if it was in service for a short time. Id shoot it.
Thanks! I plan to shoot it if I can find some .69 balls.

Very nice musket! Arsenal cone conversion. I can't quite make out the letters of the two cartouches. If you tell me what they are, I'll look up who the inspectors were for you.

Back