• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kahnke

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan18

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a Kahnke, 54 caliber 14 inch barrel, Model-82. I planned on using a .530 R/B with a lubed .020 patch and about 30 grains of 3FFF. Any other idea's as I have not fired this single shot as of yet....thanks Dan

While I don't know how deep your rifling grooves are, I think that I would try a thinner .015 patch and slightly more fffg powder as a starting point, maybe about 40 grains, and go from there. You can always increase the patch thickness to .018 stripped ticking or even .020 if you feel that the groove depth is roomy enough.
In addition to the .54 conical bullets that are available, maybe you could also consider trying one of the many varieties of available .54 bullet/sabot combinations to see if they would provide any performance or accuracy improvements at some point in the future.
Since you are shooting a .54 caliber, you can select from the .427 - .430, .45, & .50 caliber families of bullet sizes with the appropriate sized sabot. Sounds like that nice long barrel should provide you with some good accuracy. Good luck and try to let us know how it shoots. :hatsoff:

Back