• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

keeping the bag and horn in line!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S.kenton said:
ok.. so I was shooting my GPR the other day. I prefer to shoot with my bag and horn attached to me.. just like if I was hunting. So I was walking to and fro checking my shot patterns and noticed that everytime I leaned over to check my target, my possibles bag and horn would lean with me and get all tangled up. What would be PC in this situation? I have my horn separate from my bag.. on it's own strap.Just curious...

Attach the horn to the pouch straps.
It will still tend to swing down if you bend over but it does not get tangled.
P1050503.jpg

Dan

There are several ways to solve the problem. Put the horn down inside your coat, jacket,or shirt, removing it after you have finished with your bending over. Put your belt OVER at least one of the straps on the bag.

Or, put the horn in the bag, so that the flap keeps it with the bag, and the straps don't tangle.

Or. Attach the horn directly to the bag straps, as shown above.

When I first began hunting with my flintlock rifle, I carried both a main powder horn, and a separate priming horn around my neck. Then there was the hunting bag. Talk about getting things tangled up! :shocked2: :blah:

It didn't take me long to figure out to: 1st. put that priming horn inside my bag. It was small enough to not be much trouble, nor take up too much room. I cleaned out a lot of "stuff" I had been carrying for years, but never needed to use in the field. That made room for the priming horn. If I continued to use 4Fg powder for priming in the field, I would have made a pouch inside the bag so that the horn had a specific place in the bag where it would always be found.

2. I decided that I could prime with my 2Fg powder and get just as good ignition for my hunting shots, as I got using the finer powder, so I "retired" the priming horn to be used at the range, ONLY.

That got rid of one problem.

The second thing I have done is really go after all the stuff I have dragged around in the field over the years in that bag, and never needed. I am now down to so little stuff- and will have less when I make a ball block for my .50 cal. balls--- That I can dispense with that shoulder strapped bag for a belt bag- ala Brown Bear. For most hunts, I don't need that powder horn either. I use pre-measured Powder charges, carried in the bag, in containers, and of course, load the first shot in the barrel at home, camp, or at the truck before going into the field/woods.

So, I have found a way to eliminate the powder horn, the shoulder bag, and a separate priming horn or hunting. This may not be H/C, but then, neither is blaze orange, that we are required to wear( and would be nuts not to! :shocked2: :( :nono: :surrender: ) by law. About the only kind of hunt that might find me with powder horn and shoulder bag will be a dove shoot( 15 birds daily bag limit, 30 in possession), or a squirrel hunt. Even then, a ball block stuffed in a shirt pocket makes a lot more sense than carrying that bag through the brush. :hmm: :hatsoff:

Back