• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

keeping the bag and horn in line!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok.. so I was shooting my GPR the other day. I prefer to shoot with my bag and horn attached to me.. just like if I was hunting. So I was walking to and fro checking my shot patterns and noticed that everytime I leaned over to check my target, my possibles bag and horn would lean with me and get all tangled up. What would be PC in this situation? I have my horn separate from my bag.. on it's own strap.Just curious...

Don't lean, squat with yer knees.
With habit you'll catch the bag-n-horn with yer upper arm or elbow.
Could be yer strap's too long. I like my set-up a little higher under my arm and off the waist. I usta like it so my hand bottomed out on the bag with my arm extended, I moved it higher and it's better.
Just a matter of experimenting and/or gettin used to it.

my bag hangs about hip height( meaning the middle of the bag comes to the top of my hip)..my horn a little higher than the bag by about 4 inches.I do bend at the knees..maybe I'm not all the time and not paying attention.I'll try it again tomorrow..and let ya know.
I don't have pics of those acroutments on me.. I will work on that.

While you're trying it again tomorrow try it with the straps a little shorter too. You might be surprised. :thumbsup:

My bigger hassle was in the field rather than at the range. Lots of stooping and bending to get through the local alders, and you just aren't going to bend at the knees all the time.

I followed a detail in TC Albert's bag-making book that seems to have solved it completely for me. With the bag straps mounted at an angle (10-11 degrees IIRC), the bag seems to "stick" better to my side where it belongs. I keep my straps fairly short as Jethro224 suggests, which helps. Even with the straps short however, I notice immediately that a bag with straight-mounted straps hangs differently and wants to ride forward when I bend over.

My horns are on the bag straps, so they behave right along with the bags.

I had the same problem many, many years ago and as a partial solution I came up with this idea. I use a thong on the back of my bag with a button on the end - the button and thong slip behind the belt and hold the bag in place - see example:
chucks-pouch-4.jpg

Well that's it for now will be back later - lightening just knocked out the power Again! - thankz for a UPS!

:hatsoff: I like LaBontes idea with the thong and button,think I'll add one on my possibles bag today ohidan.

I have a longish strap on my bag that rides on my left hip rear, and a short strap on the horn which rides under my right arm..they don't tangle. Hank

Stumpkiller said:
... I can hold the horn and bag in place with my elbow.
Exactly. That's what anyone does that carries a shoulder bag. (ask any woman who carries a purse) Men just aren't used to it.

what shortbow said, or maybe even both straps.

Seriously though. A lot of folks suggest keeping the bag and horn up high under your arm. I've never liked that and prefer mine more on my hip. Running the belt across the straps really does help, but it may take a little getting used to at first becaues you'll feel it trying to limit your range of motion just a bit.

Mick C said:
what shortbow said, or maybe even both straps.

Seriously though. A lot of folks suggest keeping the bag and horn up high under your arm. I've never liked that and prefer mine more on my hip. Running the belt across the straps really does help, but it may take a little getting used to at first becaues you'll feel it trying to limit your range of motion just a bit.

Why not just use a belt bag in that case and not even bother with the shoulder strap?

Jethro224 said:
Why not just use a belt bag in that case and not even bother with the shoulder strap?

I made one recently that has both a belt loop on the back and a removable shoulder strap. Reason being, I sometimes have to choose between belt bag and shoulder bag due to terrain, even on the same hunt.

I mention it because I wouldn't consider using both the belt loop and the shoulder strap at the same time. Just seems redundant somehow, and long as I was slipping it onto the belt, I wouldn't need the shoulder strap.

BTW- This is a small bag in the first place, and I use a small horn inside it rather than hanging the horn. I suppose with a larger horn a guy would need a strap on that along with a belt pouch, but if too long the horn would put the user right back in the situation that started this line of questioning/thinking.

BrownBear said:
BTW- This is a small bag in the first place, and I use a small horn inside it rather than hanging the horn. I suppose with a larger horn a guy would need a strap on that along with a belt pouch, but if too long the horn would put the user right back in the situation that started this line of questioning/thinking.

Yeah I suppose you're right.

:hmm: Horn holster??? :idunno:

Mick C said:
Good suggestion Jethro but i'm afraid my belly's gotten too big for a belt bag. Afraid it would pull belt, pants and all down. And that'd probobly cause blidness for anyone within a 100 yards. :)

:haha: Keep doi'n what yer doi'n... please. :surrender:
Shoulder strap/ belt bag/ suspenders. :thumbsup:

Back