• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky rifle won't pop cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojin

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I picked up a Kentucky rifle at a show for a few bucks, however when I tried to shoot it the cap would not go off. When I pulled the hammer back again and fired it went off. This happened every time after. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem. The rifle is not anything of fine quality but it shoots real straight when it does go off. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had that problem a few weeks ago with my kentucky .45 rifle too, in my case the nipple was worn out cause of dry firing it; it would only shoot after the second or third strike.
Dry firing flattens out the nipple extremely fast and that causes the problems with ignition because the nipple surface is too big to ignite the cap. It just flattens out the cap....
Take a look at the nipples hole, if it has a conical shape or if its not perfectly round and somewhat flat its worn out.

Change the nipple and the problem is gone for shure, and dont dry fire it!

Of course it could also be a weak hamnmer spring, but I am pretty shure its the nipple.

If you want to shoot it and not get a new nipple I would take out the nipple place it in the chuck of your electric drill and using a piece of emery cloth or sand paper take down the diameter of the out side of the nipple. Check the diameter every now and than with a cap, you don't want a loose of a cap.
What was happening was that the nipple was to fat and the cap wasn't seating down tight, the fist strike of your hammer was seating the cap and the second strike of your hammer was setting it off. F.K.

Or...if the nipple is not worn...you may be using caps that are too small. The first hammer fall pushes it fully seated and the second sets it off.

Dan

Dan has a good point that a lot of people miss. Make sure you have #11 caps and not #10. The others are right on. I had a simular problem with my GPR. I bought a spit fire nipple from Dixie and never had a problem since. That was 25 years ago. Nipples are not expensive and a very easy fix. Buy a couple so you always have a spare. By the way, welcome to the forum and have fun shooting :thumbsup: .

I have run into a few of the less expensive rifles that have a very weak main spring. Some times a drop of oil will help the hammer fall a little faster. Like the rest already said, start with the nipple.

Latest posts

Back