• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FS58

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, But what characteristics distinguish a Kentucky rifle from the others?

Kentuky rifle is a catchall generic name for the longrifles of ...probably the late flint period.when looking through a book on American Longrifles that is strongly written, the term may not be found.

To the average person today, any of the American Longrifles made between 1760 and roughly 1860 are called "Kentucky rifles".

The term was made popular following the war of 1812 when a song was written about Andrew Jacksons win over the British in New Orleans.
In several places in the song reference is made to the Boys from Kentucky and their Kentucky rifles.

Andrew Jacksons backers even used the song to help popularize Jackson in his bid for the Presidency.

Generally speaking, the rifles carried by the Boys from Kentucky were indeed made in Pennsylvania or Virginia, but the name Kentucky Rifle stuck.

Prior to this song, most references to these guns just referred to them as "longrifles" or just rifles. After all, when they were almost all long rifles with very few short rifles why bother to use the term "long"?

Zonie said:
Generally speaking, the rifles carried by the Boys from Kentucky were indeed made in Pennsylvania or Virginia, but the name Kentucky Rifle stuck.

Prior to this song, most references to these guns just referred to them as "longrifles" or just rifles. After all, when they were almost all long rifles with very few short rifles why bother to use the term "long"?

Was the term "Kentucky Windage" was just called "Windage" prior to that song too? :wink: :haha:

Kentucky Rifle Song

Of course we could, but that would deny the obvious lineage of the long rifle to the earlier muskets, and European Rifles, like the German " Jaegers. The fact is that the gunsmiths in Pennsylvania that designed and made our " long rifles" used designs they already knew about and had learned in Europe- mainly in Germany, but also in Denmark, Belgium, Switzerland, France, Italy, and other countries from which they immigrated.

The English influence on the designs that succeeded are also obvious, and reflect the expediency of using the kinds of locks imported from England that were available. The differences between German locks, and English locks became a matter of degree of shape or dimension, rather than being different mechanisms altogether.

What Americans produced as a Long Rifle is distinct in the Artistry of the rifles, the use of the Golden Mean to control proportions of the various parts of the guns, and that effect on the viewer's eye and sense of balance that these guns evoked. The American Flintlock Rifle became a distinctive firearm, recognized all over the world, from this ability to blend design influences from all across Europe, while making a Uniquely American combination of Art and deadly tool. And, the artistry is in not only any carving or inlays that a particular gun might have, but also in the proportions and lengths of the gunstocks and barrels. A totally "plain Jane" piece of wood, devoid of carving and inlays, could still be a beautiful work of art just based on its length, shape, and proportions.

I'm sure it has been done before, but the Kentucky Rifle Song would make a the basis for a good movie.
And not to mention put forward the presence of some fine rifles, made by some great craftsmen.
And also pick up our spirits in this troubled time.
Old Ford

Old Ford said:
I'm sure it has been done before, but the Kentucky Rifle Song would make a the basis for a good movie.

It has. "The Fighting Kentuckian" with John Wayne was an off shoot. Both versions of "The Bucanneer" covered it. My favorite is the latest one with Charlton Heston as Andy Jackson.

Hey now. We Pennsylvainians would like to retain a little credit for adapting and developing what was one of the first truely American artforms - the longrifle (ref. Kindig's "Thoughts On...". We're frustrated for only being known as the home of Three Mile Island and bad polka music. And don't even mention the Pittsburgh Pirates who have caused us many years of suffering. ...so, we're still a little touchy about Kentucky stealing our thunder on the gun thing. Fair is fair, you Kentuckians, you have your horse racing thing, but throw us a bone on the homemade smokepoles...

FS58 said:
Excuse my ignorance, But what characteristics distinguish a Kentucky rifle from the others?

This is quite a question.
The classic Kentucky/American Longrifle was made from 1770 to 1820 or so but the styles varied widely from not only the location where is was made, every colony/state at the time, but also by time frame since the form of decoration and the actual design of the rifle changed over that time period as well.
These were often called "the American Rifle" by some British/Europeans of the period.
The relief carved Longrifle is one of two (I have heard) indigenous American art forms the other being the carved duck decoy.

*Generally* a classic "Kentucky" Longrifle is of a bore size under 50 caliber, has barrel over 36" long that is tapered or swamped. It may or may not have wood carving/engraving/patchbox. Some were bare bones rifles had no buttplate and only one rod pipe, others were elaborate works of art. Unfortunately many of the plain guns did not survive. Being used up or not considered worth keeping at some point in the past 200 years or so.
Some rifles were much larger bore than 50 and a great many were smaller. Surviving rifles often saw a great deal of use and were re-rifled "freshed" several times over their service lives which might easily run 50 to 100 years. But when made the *typical* Kentucky from the Rev-War onward was between 40 and 50 caliber. This is based on surviving rifles in near new condition and comments by writers there at the time.

Later rifles got heavier and the barrels were shortened. Some believe this was the result of better powder making. I believe it was two fold, better powder and shooters using the elongated cloth patched Picket Bullet to make a small bore rifle shoot to long ranges for target shooting and rifle matches. These were also used for hunting to some extent.
The higher pressures of the better powder and heavier bullets resulted in barrels being made of steel and being heavier in contour and thus shorter to control weight. The long barrel was not needed for velocity by this time even with the RB.
In any event the classic Longrifle was generally "out of production" by 1840. Barely kept alive by surviving examples and maybe a smith or two who still made a rifle that was a shadow of the "Golden Age" of American rifle making.

It is best that you start reading some books if you really want to know. Kauffman's "Pennsylvania/Kentucky Rile".
http://books.google.com/books?hl=e...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPP1,M1

Ned Roberts' "The ML Caplock Rifle" gets into the later guns and is required reading in my mind.
Kindigs book "Kentucky rifle in its Golden Age". Books about Riflemen in the American Revolution, books with basically nothing but photos of rifles. All these will give insight and the first three are basically required reading. You may be able to get these through inter-library loan.
Books by Dillon and others are out there and will build your knowledge base. The some info is dated or superseded by ongoing research so one cannot believe every detail but overall its required reading if you really want to know. I would start with Kauffman. You can read some of it on line at the above link.
Books are available from sources like Track of The Wolf, Log Cabin Shop and Dixon ML Shop all have web sites and/or online catalogs. There are others but these come to mind first.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, lets not forget that the carved and engraved powder horn was also an indigenous american art form! :grin:
I always refer to my smokepole as a "pennsylvania rifle" when dealing with flatlanders and they DO ask what the difference is, and I just basically give them the description that Zonie outlined above! :thumbsup:

Interesting. So far, nobody has mentioned the one characteristic that I believe must be present before a rifle can even be considered a 'Kentucky' rifle: a full forestock, that is, a stock that extends the full length of the barrel (with a nose cap). Sure, all the predecessors and many of the contemporary styles to the 'Kentucky' have that characteristic, so it's not defining, but don't you have to at least start there?

Or are there half stock 'Kentucky' rifles?

Gentlemen, Thank you for your generous and informative responses. I have always been interested in the American(Kentucky) Longrifle but have never really had the time to devote to really learning the history of these guns. On a recent trip to Kentucky to visit some friends there, I had the chance to handle and shoot some fine examples. My first experience with a flintlock. Needless to say, I was smitten. With encouragement from my friends, I decided to build myself a rifle. I have some woodworking skills, machinists experience, and some common sense, so if I go slow and listen to the more knowledgable folks, along with studying the recommended books, I think it it going to be fun and educational. Thanks in advance for your patience and help. Phil

In the '70's many of the straight buttstocked guns like the CVA'a were called Kentucky rifles and the Roman nose style were called Pennsylvania rifles, the manufactures of production guns helped spread this incorrect usage of the terms.

Back