• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Day to All

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randis

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me participate in this forum.

Getting started late in the hobby (I'm 68). Plenty of experience with modern firearms by absolutely ignorant when it comes to black powder era weapons. I understand the principales, theories, and mechanics of firearms but lack any experience when it comes to black powder (20 years military, 17 years Judicial Enforcement). Living in Southwestern Indiana.

Not much of a hunter but I can enjoy the craftmanship and artistic value of these ancient tools.

I am a living history participate. Primarily F/I through Rev War. I am at the point where I would like to include these older tools in my impression as well as participate in some of the activities requiring these items (Battle re-enactments, Woods Walks, Shootzens, ect)

I recently picked up a flintlock. It's modeled after a double (set) trigger Jaeger 50cal flintlock. Probably a 1990s hand built. 43" inches overall with a 25" barrel length. Purchased from an individual.

Now it's time to assemble all the accoutrements. I'll probably start out with functional production items and then slowly replace them with custom and handcrafted replacements. Been reviewing many Youtube videos on care, shooting, and cleaning. Mike @ "Duelist Den", Ethan @ "I love Muzzleloading", and Ben @ "Hoffman Reproductions" to name a few. First lesson learned is that there are many ways to preform the same operations and correct results.

Already have a good shooting bag from Pepe's Possibles and a multi tool (vent pick, brush, turn screw, and flint hammer?) but that's about it. So far, here's what on my wishlist

Accoutrements
Powder Horn -
Stainless Range Rod - Primarily for range and cleaning
Short Rod -
Charge Measure -
Priming flask -
Ball bag and boards

Field Consumables
Balls .49s?
Patches - Size?
Patch Lube
Tow - Mostly for in -field display
Powder - 3F? or equivalent

Cleaning Supply Consumables
Cleaning Patches
Ballistol
Clenzoil
Cleaning jag, ball removal tool, breech scraper

Please feel free to add/subtract or comment on any of the items I listed. Eager to get started!

Thanks for letting me participate in this forum.

Getting started late in the hobby (I'm 68). Plenty of experience with modern firearms by absolutely ignorant when it comes to black powder era weapons. I understand the principales, theories, and mechanics of firearms but lack any experience when it comes to black powder (20 years military, 17 years Judicial Enforcement). Living in Southwestern Indiana.

Not much of a hunter but I can enjoy the craftmanship and artistic value of these ancient tools.

I am a living history participate. Primarily F/I through Rev War. I am at the point where I would like to include these older tools in my impression as well as participate in some of the activities requiring these items (Battle re-enactments, Woods Walks, Shootzens, ect)

I recently picked up a flintlock. It's modeled after a double (set) trigger Jaeger 50cal flintlock. Probably a 1990s hand built. 43" inches overall with a 25" barrel length. Purchased from an individual.

Now it's time to assemble all the accoutrements. I'll probably start out with functional production items and then slowly replace them with custom and handcrafted replacements. Been reviewing many Youtube videos on care, shooting, and cleaning. Mike @ "Duelist Den", Ethan @ "I love Muzzleloading", and Ben @ "Hoffman Reproductions" to name a few. First lesson learned is that there are many ways to preform the same operations and correct results.

Already have a good shooting bag from Pepe's Possibles and a multi tool (vent pick, brush, turn screw, and flint hammer?) but that's about it. So far, here's what on my wishlist

Accoutrements
Powder Horn -
Stainless Range Rod - Primarily for range and cleaning
Short Rod -
Charge Measure -
Priming flask -
Ball bag and boards

Field Consumables
Balls .49s?
Patches - Size?
Patch Lube
Tow - Mostly for in -field display
Powder - 3F? or equivalent

Cleaning Supply Consumables
Cleaning Patches
Ballistol
Clenzoil
Cleaning jag, ball removal tool, breech scraper

Please feel free to add/subtract or comment on any of the items I listed. Eager to get started!
good evening to you sir.sounds like u have a good plan started already.the people in here will help u along your path.VERY VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE ON HERE if you have any questions just ask.i don't know very much lol. I sit on the fence and try to learn.

Welcome from Upstate New York's Central-Leatherstocking Region.

Watch out with Ballistol and Clenzoil. They work great - but will strip the finish off a muzzleloader with a rubbed oil finish over stain. I like soapy water followed by an oiling and then an oiled patch the next day.

Last edited:
Back