• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Brown Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a Kibler Brown Bess kit?

• Yes

Votes: 89 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 37 29.4%

• Total voters
They way i understood @Jim Kibler the query he made about the brown Bess would be promotional for the 250th, i could be wrong.

But yes, generally a brown Bess clunky and is not a wise choice for hunting or much other than reenactment. The third model is by far the best choice for game.
Yet some time ago I read that an 1820s Mountain Man (Manuel Lisa as I recall) preferred to carry a Brown Bess of all things. He must have been damn fine at stalking to make Meat with it.

Yet some time ago I read that an 1820s Mountain Man (Manuel Lisa as I recall) preferred to carry a Brown Bess of all things. He must have been damn fine at stalking to make Meat with it.

Why so?

'Ol Bess will cast a ball with good accuracy to 50 yards or better with the proper load, and can even load 00 for closer in brush work. A mountain man wouldn't be much worser offs with a Bess or other smoothie for most tasks no sir.

Why so?

'Ol Bess will cast a ball with good accuracy to 50 yards or better with the proper load, and can even load 00 for closer in brush work. A mountain man wouldn't be much worser offs with a Bess or other smoothie for most tasks no sir.

Careful, some of those 1820-1830’s era brown Bess’s were third models in .69-.72 caliber, not your typical brown Bess in .77-.79 caliber.

It is very seldom to see one here in the west, and rare to find anyone who wants one. The only time I have even seen one out here was at a west national, some guy from back east had it. They are more for east coast re-enactors. I don't see much market west of the Mississippi.

They way i understood @Jim Kibler the query he made about the brown Bess would be promotional for the 250th, i could be wrong.

But yes, generally a brown Bess clunky and is not a wise choice for hunting or much other than reenactment. The third model is by far the best choice for game.
Not trying to start an argument here, just curious why the 3rd model Bess is the best choice for game?

Where did you get the info that the P1793 and P1809 were ever .69-.72 caliber? Everything I’ve read has said they were closer to .74-75.

I’m referring to the commercial third models that were commonly traded. These were not the specific military Bess’ but were often used on the frontiers in the 1820 era

Last edited:
I would be down for one, but I would opt for a 1730 Pattern with its cool carving. It would cover the entire 18th century era. Maybe with a few changes. Reduce the barrel to 40", no let's go with 32" so that I could use it for my ranger impression. More drop to the stock would be great. 75 caliber is way too big. Let's go with a .58 or .54. Maybe slim all of its architecture down so it's like a Pedersoli. That bayonet lug, oh sight, please excuse my terminology, is way too bulky. Lets put a fowler blade sight on it, or maybe better yet just put a set of rifle sights on it. Which brings up the question of set triggers. I would not want them because they are not historically correct. I want to use it for hunting too, and it does get rainy here. Maybe a percussion version? Sorry, I'm just feeling a bit goofy today 😁

East or West I would imagine close up injun fighting a Bess would shine better than a Hawken.

Bob
I've read several accounts of rocky mountain trappers stating that in fights with Indians their rifles far outdid the NAs "fuzees". Not the Bess but smooth bores. I can't imagine any mtn man picking a smooth gun of any kind over a rifle. Might be very effective in defending a fort/trading post.

I don't see much market west of the Mississippi.
You are right, but that's true for all of Kibler's kits. The historical origins for all of Kibler's firearms can be located east of the Mississippi. About 70% of the population in the US lives east of the Mississippi. Another reason we see so few Brown Bess reproductions out here might be that the reproductions available to us are pretty poor.

I would be down for one, but I would opt for a 1730 Pattern with its cool carving. It would cover the entire 18th century era. Maybe with a few changes. Reduce the barrel to 40", no let's go with 32" so that I could use it for my ranger impression. More drop to the stock would be great. 75 caliber is way too big. Let's go with a .58 or .54. Maybe slim all of its architecture down so it's like a Pedersoli. That bayonet lug, oh sight, please excuse my terminology, is way too bulky. Lets put a fowler blade sight on it, or maybe better yet just put a set of rifle sights on it. Which brings up the question of set triggers. I would not want them because they are not historically correct. I want to use it for hunting too, and it does get rainy here. Maybe a percussion version? Sorry, I'm just feeling a bit goofy today 😁

A coach and brown Bess with more attention to accuracy and detail would fly off the shelf. Highly sought after however not done correctly in most.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 0
A coach and brown Bess with more attention to accuracy and detail would fly off the shelf. Highly sought after however not done correctly in most.
I agree. I do think an accurate Bess would go over big. I would opt for pretty much any pattern, except an India pattern. I have built a few Besses from Rifle Shoppe kits. They generally have not been too difficult, but 1. It sucked waiting for all of the parts. 2. If Kibler put together a Bess with fully interchangeable parts just think how awesome that would be!

Last edited:
Great summarization of this entire post! lol

Latest posts

Back