• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler's solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajun

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Greeting all, has anyone ever used Kibler's solution or something similar on their lock/furniture for their muzzleloader. The reason I'm asking I was planning to brown my L&R Lock on my upcoming project. After polishing the lock, I kind of like the look. Maybe take back a little of the shine off by using the Kibler's solution to give it that "old time look" so to speak. So, if you did how did it come out, Thanks.

Last edited:
If that's the Historic House Parts stuff he used to sell, I loved it and have used it on a colonial and an smr kit. It offers zero protection to rust, but adds a nice grey look, and allows a natural patina to slowly be created under it. I always figured, if I changed my mind, a little cleanup, and I could brown it, or go for rust blue. Pretty happy with it here.

Thanks, Winchester97, my wife has used it on some of her home projects and always love how it came out for her. I'll give it a try and like you said "if I change my mind, a little cleanup" is all I have to do.

I used the JAX black brass, copper & bronze darkener from Kibler store. Even though it says nothing about blackening steel, it really works well as recommended by Jim. Easy to apply, fast acting and you can get an even color coat. Remove black with 0000 steel wool to the desired tint............Labrat

I used the JAX black brass, copper & bronze darkener from Kibler store. Even though it says nothing about blackening steel, it really works well as recommended by Jim. Easy to apply, fast acting and you can get an even color coat. Remove black with 0000 steel wool to the desired tint............Labrat
Thanks, Labrat!!!

Back