• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kids under 12 hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first, a .22, for Christmas at age 6. I understood the price of carelessness or stupidity was too steep. 71 years later and I have not yet screwed up with a firearm. Except for the easy targets I have missed.

I was first allowed to tag along with my dad and uncles on their small game hunts when I was eight years old.
I was allowed to carry a single barrel shotgun on small game hunts when I was ten.
I was allowed to go big game hunting (deer) when I turned twelve.
I'm not sure, since all that was back in the late 1950's, but I think that was the law in that state at that time.
However, I fired a gun for the very first time when I was five (5). Under my dad's supervision, of course. The gun was my grandfather's .32 S&W revolver.
For my 12th birthday I was given a SxS double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. However, my dad kept it in his locked gun safe. Whenever I wanted to see it, he would get it out for me, and he stood close by in supervision.
I know it was New Jersey law at that time that a boy could hunt alone or with friends, without adult supervision at age 14. My parents thought I was mature and safe with firearms, so they allowed me to do that. So, there I was a 14-year-old, carrying a double barrel shotgun through our suburban neighborhood to hunt the fields and woods for miles around. Never had a problem.
Sadly, none of my four children had/have much interest in hunting or in guns. Nor do any of my nine grandchildren.

Some of the worry My worry about it is these schools a teacher people.

You know? Like a DCF problem.

It's more the age they just don't know about that and people. like don't tell the teacher you went hunting maybe..
That’s the state’s desire to actually parent your children. The party line is to slowly influence your kids that guns are bad and to do what the state tells them without question.

I had access to a 22 rifle and a shotgun at age 8. I had gun safety beat unto me at that age too. You did not screw up handling firearms in my family!

Clinical fact that children do not have the maturity to responsibly handle guns until late teens. As "mature" as some may seem, their brains are still developing and "mature" they are not. By definition.

I knew a "very mature" 15 year old kid who, at a deer hunting camp, was cleaning his "cleared and unloaded" rifle at the end of the day. In a act of spontaneity that even he doesn't understand, he put the "cleared and unloaded" rifle to his heart and pulled the trigger. Just for "fun." The rifle had a round in the chamber. It was a miracle that he survived a point-blank 30-06 shot to the chest.

This is the problem with giving kids firearms. The act out spontaneously and without logic. It's what their developing brains do, and no amount of parenting can change that. Naturally, every parent will tell you otherwise. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Bull,

I was taught gun safety at age FOUR w/a daisy b.b. gun. A year later a Benjamin .177 air rifle, and after proving responsibility
an Ithaca single shot 20ga. at age 9. I'd hazard a guess that it's generational...

Survived a point blank 30-06 to the chest? Suuuure....

Mule
p.s. I was 4 in 1964.

it's easy teaching this hunting. My daughter learning. It's a kid that wants to.

There's allot to learn..

I've had friends over the years that wanted to try hunting. We tried I tried 4 or 5 times to teach and get an adult into it.

It's allot.

To be honest nothing bad. They got there guns. There still happy about that. But hunting. You know it's mostly they just don't have the time but it's not for everyone for Different reasons.

Same with fishing. A kid is fun to teach and allot easyer to teach than the adult. if the kid wants to

Last edited:
Hunter ed.. I've took everytime with friends. 4 or 5 times and when I was a kid.. so 6 times hunter Ed graduate.

Like I really didn't need to waist my time on them. It's a waist of time. Friends.. they don't appreciate it.. what it cost in time and all for someone to teach this.

They cancel on you to much.. they don't drive. They don't get there own club membership so they still need you. They cancel on scouting everytime.. etc etc etc

Last edited:
the idea that children should not be exposed and trained to firearms is a Tenet of the liberal left.
If they cannot be taught and trained to safely handle firearms, they could not and should not be taught to dress themselves, not touch a hot stove, or stick a fork into an outlet.
as for the contact point blank discharge of a 30-06 it would truly be a miracle that the lad lived.
I have observed more contact wounds than i care to think about. the projectile only opens the pathway for the continuing expansion of super heated gas. In the case of a 30-06, the chamber pressure is close to or at 60k psi. those gasses destroy connecting tissue in a devastating manner.
screw a 22 and up pistol into your ear and touch it off and the ball will usually make a caliber size hole. the expanding gas will destroy the skull structure and cause things you don't want to see.
a 30-06 contact shot to the heart would be non-survivable even in an operating room fully staffed.
without a true act of God.
just my "Sniff" response.

.. the only lesson I needed on guns and gun safety I think I was 4 but..

My grandfather explained the old farmer argument on what age then and I don't remember it good..

it is between 4 and or 6.. common farmer type argument on what age was best to start. 4 was to young. 6 was to old.. it's kinda that zone to build the foundation for learning this.

I started out with trapping a racoon.

He had chickens. Rabbits. racoon got in there.

It was fun.. I remember being up the whole night thinking did I get one is it in there.

Same with farming those rabbits. I did not have to ask what happened to all the bunny's. I was there that was a lesson and we ate them. My grandmother did all the work. My grandfather carried them in one by one by the ears.

Last edited:
Survived a point blank 30-06 to the chest? Suuuure....
Yeah, I had the tray ready to cut open his chest when the ambulance arrived. Didn't need it. Not only did he survive, but he went home that night. Bullet bounced off a rib didn't hit anything vital.

Also took care of a guy who survived a point-blank 12 gauge deer slug to the left chest. He survived, but did so very poorly. Gunfight with police.

Pure luck
Children's brains are immature, and sometimes they do irrational things without thinking.

BTW, the only thing that's better than scientific facts are better facts. You "whiff test" is completely irrelevant .
Hell ! From a good deal of what I read and observe most adult brains are immature and illogical.
If I may point out the highly regarded Pro. Albert Einstein pointed out that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result ,is insanity.
Case in point voting Democratic.
When is the last time anyone noticed any difference in the results of such?

Blitz

`

.. my wife recently cooked a spatula thing leaving the stove on.. smoked out the house a little.

My daughter is... she's a safety trigger went off in her..

She's got a safety bug fire Marshall over it.

Like I put popcorn in the micro but I was like no I don't want it abs walked away. It's not on. It's just in there.. she was all take that out. I was like no it's fine.. she no it might not be safe no.. I was like it's fine. Then get face is like overwhelmed looking lol so I'm like OK..

Unplugging the toaster to.

To much steam cooking to hot lower the stove.

kinda interesting to see a kid treat us in the kitchen like we're the Irresponsible ones..

I saw in her that stove being left on. She seen it the danger. So....

She's going to learn. Anything safety lesson...

Shes only asked me a couple times to see her bb gun daisy.. and she was no play around she just wanted to see it to Make sure it was ok she said. You know I get the same feeling to check mine ounce and a while. She Knows it's for the club though.

Like some kids you hand a fishing pole it might not survive..

She carry a fishing pole nice.. same with the daisy bb.

Yeah, I had the tray ready to cut open his chest when the ambulance arrived. Didn't need it. Not only did he survive, but he went home that night. Bullet bounced off a rib didn't hit anything vital.

Also took care of a guy who survived a point-blank 12 gauge deer slug to the left chest. He survived, but did so very poorly. Gunfight with police.
You are are full of $hit, are a troll, and have nothing to back what you say other than rhetoric; "bounced off a rib...12 gauge slug to the left chest."

My Dad taught me what a bullet can do to a soda can full of water with a 38 Special pistol round. I learned what a 20 gauge slug does while
deer hunting @ the age of 11.

Mule
p.s. on an episode of "Forensic Files" the mystery of a man's murder while hunting was finally solved. It appeared that he had been
shot with 2 different rifles. As it turns out, the smaller caliber bullet was from the same rifle; the jacket was stripped after passing
through a tree limb and was still deadly even at reduced velocity.

Last edited:
Having watched nearly all of Garand Thumb's ballistic fell videos, I highly doubt a kid survived a point blank shot from a 30.06 to the chest. Then went home the same night! The temporary cavity would have been what killed him

I'm looking for a couple good videos hunting to show her...

I need at least one that is going to teach orange.. like don't take off your orange that's why.

You know like something like..

I can say right before ohhh there going shoot a deer..

In the video you can't see much just moving thing..

You know the ending.

Latest posts

Back