• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KIK Blackpowder Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought about purchasing some KIK Blackpowder. I shoot 3f Goex blackpowder in all of my guns. my question is what granular of Kik powder do I use?
Would it still be 3f or what size?
Would like to keep as close to the performnce that I am getting now.

Go ahead an get 3fff KIK, it shoots just as good if not better than Goex and is much cleaner IMO. It is also close to Swiss powder in performance too. You might need to step down 5 or 10 grns. The granular size of KIK 3ff is a bit smaller than 3fff Goex, close to 2ff Swiss. At $156.40 this includes shipping an hazmat, for the 10lbs I just got in, it is a lot cheaper than Swiss or Goex. Ordered it from Powderinc. went out on Tuesday, UPS, got here on Thurs afternoon about 4:30pm. Always had great service from Powderinc..

Thanks very much for your help in answering my question.
Going to go ahead and order me some today.
Good shooting....Be safe.

I ordered Goex and KIK FFFg from Powderinc last week. I am shooting them in a 36" 50 cal, I cannot tell much difference in point of impact vel (measured with a beta chrony at 30') or fouling.

I am thinking of trying KIK next time around, and armakiller brings up a question I was wondering about: Is KIK used, volume for volume, the same as Goex, or do Folks normally step it down, as aramakiller suggests?? Grain size is in fact smaller for a given Fg designation? Will be feeding a .69 smoothbore Musket...

Eric

When I got Kik 2 and 3F, I just switched from the Graf 3F I had been using and loaded up with Kik. Curious, I tested my custom measures on an electronic scale and found a big difference of what a charge of Kik, Graf, Goex and Swiss was using the same measure. Beyond that I didn't change anything, just loaded up and payed attention to what kind of groups I was getting.

...I tested my custom measures on an electronic scale and found a big difference of what a charge of Kik, Graf, Goex and Swiss was using the same measure.

Swampy, would you mind telling us more about the differences you discovered?

Just wondering... .

There was a thread a while back that I know Stumpkiller and I posted some avg's but this is what I get doing each 3 times. From my custom 90gr measure,

Graf 3F = 95.5

Kik 3F = 86.5

Swiss 3F = 101.5

I then dug out my T/C powder measure set at 100gr,

Graf 3F = 101.6

Kik 3F = 96.1

Swiss 3F = 108.5

Back